Get our free newsletter
A morning roundup of news, opinion, and links from City Paper and around the District. Send tips and ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get ready for Pope Francis to disrupt your daily commute next week, when he’s in town from Sept. 22 through Sept. 24. District officials want folks to telework if possible and prepare themselves for major delays if they cannot.
LEADING THE MORNING NEWS:
- Mayor Muriel Bowser announced new jobs programs for returning citizens at D.C. jail. [Loose Lips, Post]
- The District will reportedly build a Wizards basketball facility at the former St. Elizabeths hospital, hoping to strengthen economic development east of the Anacostia. [Post, Loose Lips, Greater Greater Washington]
- A man was shot in the stomach early this morning on Varnum Street NE; police had to close it. [WUSA9]
- The Metropolitan Police Department has found two tour buses that were stolen over the weekend. [WTOP]
- Recall the salmonella-scare last week linked to Fig & Olive? There are now 70 possible cases of it. [Post]
RECENT CITY PAPER STORIES TO HELP YOU MAKE SENSE OF YOUR DAY:
- A Crossing to Bear: City Paper investigates the “most dangerous” intersections for traffic in the District.
- Please Keep on Your Cell Phones?: Some D.C. theaters are rethinking those disruptive mobile devices.
- ICYMI: Barrel House Liquor in Logan Circle is relocating…next door. What will happen to the barrel?
LOOSE LIPS LINKS, by Will Sommer (tips? email@example.com)
- Wizards set to cut deal for St. Elizabeths practice facility. [Post, LL]
- The package looks pretty good for the team. [Washingtonian]
- Jack Evans is ready for Hillary. [Post]
- Muriel Bowser goes to jail… but just for a little while. [LL, WJLA, Post]
- The Pope will focus on the District’s poor during his visit. [WAMU]
- Reconsidering a stadium at RFK. [GGW]
- DDOE preps to fine delinquent businesses. [WBJ]
YOUNG & HUNGRY LINKS, by Jessica Sidman (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- New places to watch the game this season [Eater]
- The 20 best things to eat and drink this fall [Zagat]
- C.’s best wine bars [Thrillist]
- Steal this job: barbecue pitmaster [Express]
- Wicked Bloom Social Club, a bar from the DCity Smokehouse folks, is opening soon. [Post]
- Food events this week [Washingtonian]