Get our free newsletter
A morning roundup of news, opinion, and links from City Paper and around the District. Send tips and ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mayor Muriel Bowser recently announced a $55 million deal with the Washington Wizards and Mystics to build a practice facility and arena in Congress Heights. Bowser now has two stadiums deals under her belt. Will she get a third?
LEADING THE MORNING NEWS:
- Pope Francis left town yesterday to head to New York. While here, he highlighted homelessness. [Post]
- Before he left, a small group protested sexual abuse by priests in front of the Wilson Building. [City Desk]
- A three-hour barricade situation in Bellevue involving two men ended peacefully Thursday. [FOX5DC]
- Another store was shut down this week for allegedly selling synthetic drugs. [NBC4]
- The Federal Transit Administration is requiring Metro to implement nearly 80 safety fixes. [The Hill]
- Daron Wint, the suspect in a quadruple murder at a mansion in Woodley Park, is in court today. [WUSA9]
RECENT CITY PAPER STORIES TO HELP YOU MAKE SENSE OF YOUR DAY:
- Thespian Liaisons: What happens when you’re hooking up with your coworker who’s in a play with you?
- Fairweather Fans: “For some reason, people really seem to care if the Nationals have good fans.”
- Weekend Picks: TGIF, folks. Here’s what you can do around D.C. this weekend, for free or not so free.
LOOSE LIPS LINKS, Will Sommer is on vacation. (tips? email@example.com)
HOUSING COMPLEX LINKS, by Sarah Anne Hughes
- Millennials, baby boomers keep housing market in D.C. “hot.” [Post]
- Is telework the solution to D.C.’s congestion problem? [WAMU]
- Why does Brentwood have to put up with the region’s garbage? [NatGeo]
- Today’s your last chance to weigh in on D.C.’s zoning code. [GGW]
ARTS LINKS, by Sarah Anne Hughes
- Hemlines releases its first official EP today. Listen to it here. [Arts Desk]
- Death meets the Smithsonian. [Bandwidth]
- Peggy Cooper Cafritz has a new home, collection. [Post]
YOUNG & HUNGRY LINKS, by Sarah Anne Hughes
- Cava Grill gets another huge investment. [WBJ]
- Behind the rise of Rose’s Luxury. [Eater]
- Filipino essentials in the D.C. area [DCist]