Sign up for our free newsletter
Free D.C. news, delivered to your inbox daily.
A morning roundup of news, opinion, and links from City Paper and around the District. Send tips and ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Monday was the one-year anniversary of former D.C. Mayor Marion Barry’s death. A memorial commission last night recommended four ways to commemorate Barry’s life, including placing a statue or bust of him at the Wilson Building and renaming school facilities and Good Hope Road SE after him. Barry was 78 when he died.
LEADING THE MORNING NEWS:
- Two men were shot—one fatally—near Pennsylvania and Minnesota avenues SE Monday night. [NBC4]
- The D.C. Court of Appeals is considering whether to adopt higher standards for admitting experts. [Post]
- The District’s tourism industry and government are responding to visitors’ concerns post-Paris. [WTOP]
- Nearly seven out of ten residents support D.C. statehood, but advocates for the cause say work remains. [City Desk]
- Mayor Muriel Bowser Monday announced that the Convention Center will get some new retail. [Young & Hungry]
RECENT CITY PAPER STORIES TO HELP YOU MAKE SENSE OF YOUR DAY:
- “Run, Hide, or Fight”: Those are the options D.C. residents can exercise in case of a Paris-style attack, says the District’s police chief.
- GDP, Mapped: D.C.’s economy grew slower than those of nine other major U.S. metropolitan areas in 2014.
- Rusty The Red Panda: We learned Monday that he won’t be returning to the National Zoo anytime soon. At least Bei Bei will debut in January!
LOOSE LIPS LINKS, by Will Sommer (tips? email@example.com)
- Big support for the statehood in the District, not so much in Congress. [Post, LL]
- Gun lovers say Cathy Lanier missing the point. [Times]
- Trans activist charged over Columbia Heights protest. [Blade]
- More on Lanier’s mass shooter talk. [City Desk, Post]
- Have Tom Sherwood and Mary Cheh made D.C. flag tattoos no longer cool? [Post]
ARTS LINKS, by Matt Cohen (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Local production company Aboveboard Productions is shooting a comedic web series about D.C.’s marijuana industry. [DCist]
- Your D.C. Flag tattoo is no longer cool thanks to Kojo Nnamdi, Mary Cheh, and Tom Sherwood. [Post]
- Check out a new track from Virginia rapper Peter $un. [Arts Desk]
- The new Jason Bourne movie will shoot in D.C. soon. [Post]
- Sherwood True’s new photo exhibition at Pyramid Atlantic looks at Phoenix’s counterculture. [Arts Desk]
YOUNG & HUNGRY LINKS, by Jessica Sidman (tips? email@example.com)
- Quarter+Glory to bring cocktails to 14th Street NW via New York. [Post]
- Batter Bowl Bakery rebrands as Uni Bistro under new ownership. [District Cuisine]
- Ten cozy places to drink by the fire this winter [Washingtonian]
- Hot new soups for cold weather days [Eater]
- Matt Baker to preview his upcoming restaurant, Gravitas, at Dolcezza. [Express]
- Where to eat and drink out for Thanksgiving [BYT]
- An update on Petworth’s new restaurants [Petworth News]