Get our free newsletter
A morning roundup of news, opinion, and links from City Paper and around the District. Send tips and ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The D.C. Housing Authority has been refurbishing homes—and moving out aging tenants—in order to turn a profit on its inventory and put the money towards new construction. Some homes, however, remain vacant.
LEADING THE MORNING NEWS:
- President Barack Obama visited Upshur Street Books and Pleasant Pops café on Saturday. [Reuters, Post]
- The Washington Football Team took first place in the NFC East after topping the New York Giants. [CBS]
- The day after Thanksgiving was a violent one for D.C.: Five people were hurt by gunfire Friday. [Post]
- Police are looking for a man accused of sexually assaulting a woman in Northeast on Sunday. [WUSA9]
- The District has been a center of go-go dancing for decades. Is gentrification changing that? [The Atlantic]
RECENT CITY PAPER STORIES TO HELP YOU MAKE SENSE OF YOUR DAY:
- “Necessary and Reasonable”: That’s what an internal D.C. police review found of an October detainment.
- Occupy the Council: Drew Franklin—once an Occupy D.C. activist—plans to run against David Grosso.
- Holidays, Celebrate: Itching to see a holiday show in the next month? City Paper is here to help with five.
LOOSE LIPS LINKS, by Will Sommer (tips? email@example.com)
- Cops cleared in controversial scuffle with teen. [City Desk]
- Activist says he’ll beat David Grosso because he “keeps it real at all times.” [LL]
- Housing authority boots tenants, flips their homes. [AP]
- Post ed board tells Paul Ryan to drop budget riders. [Post]
- What a party busted by ABRA looks like. [Barred in DC]
- District continues to work on D.C. General replacements. [WAMU]
- Post ed board: Wards should be open to homeless shelters. [Post]
- More on surge pricing tests. [WAMU]
ARTS LINKS, by Matt Cohen (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Artomatic returns. [Post]
- Listen to Sara Curtin‘s Thanksgiving song. [DC Music Download]
- A new bookstore is coming to Park View. [Arts Desk]
- Former professor donates collection of Civil War artifacts to Manassas Museum. [Post]
- Apparently Miley Cyrus put on quite the show at Echostage. [Express]
- GoldLink on how a ruined relationship inspired his new album. [Post]
- Nearly 15 years later, the themes of Frodus‘ final album are more relevant than ever. [Arts Desk]
YOUNG & HUNGRY LINKS, by Jessica Sidman (tips? email@example.com)
- Where to eat hush puppies [Eater]
- Know your local holiday beers. [DC Beer]
- Five new, revamped brunch menus [Zagat]
- Food truck program limps along in Alexandria. [WBJ]
- Scandal aside, how does Tadich Grill stack up? [Post]
- Florida Avenue Grill looks to serve booze. [Borderstan]
- The best booze stores in the D.C. area [DCist]