We know D.C. Get our free newsletter to stay in the know.
A morning roundup of news, opinion, and links from City Paper and around the District. Send tips and ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org.
LEADING THE MORNING NEWS:
- An afterschool program in D.C. offers healing through art to children affected by gun violence. [WAMU]
- Police: On Monday night, two men were shot near C.W. Harris Elementary School. [WUSA9]
- An amnesty program could save local business thousands of dollars in waived fees/fines. [City Desk, WBJ]
- Metro riders couldn’t use credit/debit cards to put money on their SmartTrip cards on Monday. [City Desk]
- Google search trends: District denizens care more about national than local news stories. [Washingtonian]
- Will D.C.’s new and significantly higher traffic fines actually change people’s driving behavior? [GGW]
RECENT CITY PAPER STORIES TO HELP YOU MAKE SENSE OF YOUR DAY:
- The Fresh Connection: Mayor Muriel Bowser’s chief of staff communicated with pro-Bowser political action committee FreshPAC, whose leaders were partners in a building project, to deal with some red tape.
- Magnolia Room: Macon Bistro & Larder in upper Northwest will expand with a new dining area plus bar.
- Alonzo Smith: The late man’s mother is expected to call for a second autopsy of his body this afternoon.
ARTS LINKS, by Matt Cohen (tips? email@example.com)
- The Kreeger and Glenstone museums are under congressional investigation for allegedly being tax shelters. [Arts Desk]
- Sunwolf talk new album, Follow the Dreamers. [Bandwidth]
- All Songs Considered is throwing a sweet 16 birthday party at the 9:30 Club with Sharon Van Etten, Dan Deacon, and more. [DC Music Download]
- When Nixon met Elvis: a Washington story. [Washingtonian]
- Make the “Make D.C. Weird” campaign weird. [Stuck in D.C.]
YOUNG & HUNGRY LINKS, by Jessica Sidman (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- The 10 best food cities in America, ranked [Post]
- Argentinian beef and tapas to star at new Dupont restaurant. [Borderstan]
- Eight reasons to drive to Charlottesville, Va., this winter [Zagat]
- About 70 restaurants opened around D.C. this fall. [Eater]
- Ripple turns into Mos Eisley Cantina for the Star Wars [PoPville]
- Dave & Buster’s opens in Northern Virginia. [WBJ]
- Man arrested for doing lines of cocaine off of table at Clarendon pizza shop. [ARLnow]