A morning roundup of news, opinion, and links from City Paper and around the District. Send tips and ideas to email@example.com.
There were fewer than 3,800 police officers in D.C. as of Dec. 17, the lowest number in a decade, the Washington Post reports. The Metropolitan Police Department says it hasn’t been able to keep up with retirements, while the union puts the blame on bad management.
LEADING THE MORNING NEWS:
- An attorney for Nationals player Ryan Zimmerman calls Al Jazeera America’s doping report “inexcusable and irresponsible.” [ABC6]
- The Kush God isn’t too worried after being arrested. [DCist]
- Plan for affordable housing threatens popular park. [Post]
- Improved Metro security camera system leads to more arrests. [WTOP]
- Developers turn their gaze to Rhode Island Avenue. [Post]
- Man on ATV killed in collision with SUV in Capitol Heights. [NBC4]
- ANC commissioner calls out DCRA’s “unwillingness to follow the law and protect District residents.” [Post]
RECENT CITY PAPER STORIES TO HELP YOU MAKE SENSE OF YOUR DAY:
- Unobstructed View: When the Washington football team’s gain is your loss.
- Grayed Expectations: Why are so many homes in D.C. gray?
- Gear Prudence: What should I do with all the terrible bike gifts I get over the holidays?
- It Was a Very Good Year: The best in local politics, food, and music, according to City Paper writers.
ARTS LINKS, by Matt Cohen (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- The best in film, images, and local music in 2015. [Arts Desk]
- Meet the local ten-year-old blind jazz piano prodigy. [Post]
- A guide to finding D.C. murals guides. [DCist]
- The year in local theater. [Post]
- Filling the local drag king void with F*CK BRUNCH! [DCist]
- Justin Jones has eight rules for not being a dick at concerts. [BYT]
- How independent bookstores are making a comeback in D.C. [Post]
- Ahead of their gig at Black Cat tonight, Lorelei looks back at their seminal album Everyone Must Touch the Stove. [DCist]
YOUNG & HUNGRY LINKS, by Jessica Sidman (tips? email@example.com)
- Four gut-busting dishes to eat before New Year’s resolutions hit [Express]
- D.C.’s best food and drink of 2015 [Thrillist]
- How to have a no-hassle New Year’s Eve [Post]
- Bars where you can watch hockey [Eater]
- Hello Cupcake says goodbye to Dupont. [Borderstan]
- Getting raw dairy in the District [DCist]