A morning roundup of news, opinion, and links from City Paper and around the District. Send tips and ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Though the D.C. government is open today, the federal government and D.C. Public Schools are not. Additionally, many commuters have faced significant delays on Metro this morning as ice has hindered both rail and bus routes.
LEADING THE MORNING NEWS:
- The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration will review snow-measurement procedures after disputed totals were recorded at Reagan National Airport. [AP]
- Turnout was relatively low at public schools where free meals were offered on Monday. [WAMU, WTOP]
- So where does all the snow go once removed from streets? Lots goes to RFK Stadium, apparently. [FOX5]
- How and with what resources does D.C. clean up after a blizzard as compared with New York City? [AP]
- Uh oh: Looks like at least one resident is already calling dibs on a coveted D.C. parking spot. [The Blaze]
RECENT CITY PAPER STORIES TO HELP YOU MAKE SENSE OF YOUR DAY:
- Shelter from the Storm: D.C. transported hundreds of residents to warming sites and shelters during the blizzard.
- Restaurant Week Delays: If you forgot it was Restaurant Week because of the snow, fret not: Some eateries are pushing back their promotions until they recover from the blizzard.
- The Glass Menagerie: Ford’s Theatre held a free performance of Tennessee Williams’ classic last night.
ARTS LINKS, by Matt Cohen (tips? email@example.com)
- With a collective of 24 women, Resurrecting Queenz are using hip-hop to combat violence and sexism. [Bandwidth]
- With the blizzard forcing numerous shows to cancel performances, millions lost in revenue. [Post]
- Check out a new Two Inch Astronaut [Noisey]
- But the Ford’s Theatre said “screw it,” and put on a free performance of The Glass Menagerie last night. [Arts Desk]
- GWU’s radio station, WRGW, is reopening their doors after nearly two months of renovations. [DC Music Download]
- In which the blizzard brings out peak millennialism. [DCist]
YOUNG & HUNGRY LINKS, by Jessica Sidman (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Six things D.C. does better than anywhere else [Zagat]
- A snow-bourbon cocktail recipe from Room 11′s Dan Searing [Washingtonian]
- How much did people tip on GubHub food deliveries during the blizzard? [The Daily Dot]
- Why you’ll now be able to buy freshly brewed coffee at the Dupont FreshFarm Market [Post]
- D.C. restaurants cope with the impact of Snowzilla. [Eater]
- Jury rules against Chinatown bar in discrimination suit. [WBJ]