Get our free newsletter
A morning roundup of news, opinion, and links from City Paper and around the District. Send tips and ideas to email@example.com.
An auditor has found that D.C. Circulator buses are crumbling and unsafe for service, according to a story on WTOP. How many? Ninety-five percent of the buses had at least one safety problem, the report found.
LEADING THE MORNING NEWS:
- D.C.’s baby boom is being driven by wealthy families. [Post]
- Speed trap on Kenilworth Avenue in Northeast racking up fines for drivers. [NBC4]
- Safety blitz continues on specific parts of the Metro system. [WAMU]
- The Nationals built a gleaming ball field in a struggling part of town. Can it really help? [Think Progress]
RECENT CITY PAPER STORIES TO HELP YOU MAKE SENSE OF YOUR DAY:
- ICYMI: Best of D.C. 2016 is here!
- Arts Desk: Who to see at Damaged City Fest this weekend.
- City Desk: Lanier ramps up efforts to halt ATV riders.
LOOSE LIPS LINKS, by Will Sommer (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Huge safety problems on Circulator buses, audit finds. [WTOP]
- Cabbies drag their feet on panic buttons. [WAMU]
- Ward 6ers fret over homeless shelter. [Times]
- Phil Mendelson on The Politics Hour. [WAMU]
- Inspectors check Metro tracks. [AP]
- D.C. Water prohibits employee travel to North Carolina. [DCist]
ARTS LINKS, by Matt Cohen (tips? email@example.com)
- Our annual Best of D.C. issue is here! [WCP]
- How local artist Nate Lewis finds inspiration from the operating room. [DCist]
- Local quintet Time is Fire draws influence from a diverse variety of styles. [Post]
- Here’s what to see at this weekend’s Damaged City Fest. [Arts Desk]
- Louis C.K. announces surprise shows at DC Improv and Lincoln Theatre, both of which sell out almost immediately. [DCist]
- Bob Brown will return to the record store where he was rediscovered from obscurity years ago. [Post]
- Chateau Nightclub owner Seresa “Nut” Coleman has died. [Arts Desk]
- The best restaurants, bars, and more in D.C. [WCP]
- 24 amazing bars in the D.C. area [Washingtonian]
- El Sol review: The best taqueria in Washington by a long shot [Post]
- Comedian Kevin Hart visits Ben’s Chili Bowl. [Eater]
- A search for America’s most dangerous restaurant critic [Thrillist]
- Update on The Midlands beer garden coming to Park View [PoPville]