Get our free newsletter
A morning roundup of news, opinion, and links from City Paper and around the District. Send tips and ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org.
After John Kasich made what can only be described as a “dumb and cynical” case against D.C. statehood to the Post’s editorial board, Mayor Muriel Bowser and other District leaders on Thursday met to discuss that very issue. The New Columbia Statehood Commission proposed holding a D.C. constitutional convention in the coming months.
LEADING THE MORNING NEWS:
- D.C. police arrested one of their own officers on charges of assault with a dangerous weapon. [Post, DCist]
- Dozens of people attended a Prince dance party, and other memorials, last night. [Borderstan, Arts Desk]
- Is the proposed shelter in Ward 5—part of Bowser’s homeless plan—environmentally safe? [Post]
- Do the District’s construction sites provide “safe accommodations” for pedestrians and cyclists? [WAMU]
- Police set up three “exchange zones” where people can transact goods after online purchases. [City Desk]
- D.C. has seen more and more paved surfaces over the past 30 years, a result of urban expansion. [WAMU]
- A motorcyclist died after a crash with a Metro bus near United Medical Center on Wednesday. [City Desk]
RECENT CITY PAPER STORIES TO HELP YOU MAKE SENSE OF YOUR DAY:
- For the Love of Sandwiches: If you missed City Paper’s inaugural Sandwich Issue yesterday, you can ketchup on it this weekend. Mayo(u) relish the read!
- National Cannabis Festival: We interviewed some of the people behind Saturday’s pot party at RFK.
- Manifest Destiny: Local D.C. restaurants and small chains are expanding into new cities across the U.S.
LOOSE LIPS LINKS, by Will Sommer (tips? email@example.com)
- Muriel Bowser preps statehood plan. [WAMU, Post]
- Yvette Alexander slams Vince Gray; Gray campaign calls her a “suicide bomber” for the Green Team. [LL]
- Trayon White takes on LaRuby May in the Ward 8 race. [LL]
- John Kasich has an opinion on statehood. Unless you don’t like it; he can change it. [City Desk]
- Time to change the District’s contributory negligence law? [WAMU]
- The D.C. United stadium gets a name, for now. [WBJ]
- After six years, head of the Department of Disability Services leaves office. [WAMU]
- Big Rock Creek park bike trail news. [GGW]
YOUNG & HUNGRY LINKS, by Jessica Sidman (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- A guide to the D.C. area’s most underrated bars [Post]
- Barmini vet Juan Coronado teams up to open Colada Shop, a Cuban cafe. [Eater]
- Which farmers markets chefs visit [DC Refined]
- Everything you need to know about ramps [Washingtonian]
- After fires in west, mushroom hunters ‘chase the burn.’ [NPR]
- The best tacos in D.C. [Drink DC]
- H Street &pizza seeks to solve Craigslist missed connection. [Hill Now]