We know D.C. Get our free newsletter to stay in the know.
A morning roundup of news, opinion, and links from City Paper and around the District. Send tips and ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org.
On Saturday night, a Red Line train had to be evacuated in what one passenger described to WAMU as “the worst experience ever” because of a fire between the Tenleytown and Friendship Heights Metro stations. Though the cause of the incident remains under investigation (the feds are stepping in, too), the agency’s troubles are not new—by far.
LEADING THE MORNING NEWS:
- Post editorial board: The D.C. Council needs to move on Mayor Muriel Bowser’s homeless plan. [Post]
- On Friday, a plethora of groups called for a reconsideration of the Pepco-Exelon merger. [City Desk, WBJ]
- D.C. Circulator drivers make less money than their regional peers and are calling for higher wages. [Post]
- “VEEP” came back on HBO last night and one of its stars came out in support of D.C. statehood. [WAMU]
- Audit: D.C.’s summer youth employment program could benefit a lot from private-sector help. [City Desk]
RECENT CITY PAPER STORIES TO HELP YOU MAKE SENSE OF YOUR DAY:
- Tinker Taylor Sandwich Guy: From our Sandwich Issue—how does Taylor Gourmet make its hoagies?
- Alexander vs. Gray: The race for the Ward 7 seat on the D.C. Council appears to be getting a little ugly.
- Get the Lead Out: The D.C. Council will hold a hearing in June on lead found in water sources in schools.
LOOSE LIPS LINKS, by Will Sommer (tips? email@example.com)
- Post ed board cautious on Kenyan McDuffie‘s anti-crime program. [Post]
- Yvette Alexander trashes Vince Gray‘s…parenting skills? [LL]
- D.C. Board of Elections picks the primary ballot order. [LL]
- People’s Counsel challenges Pepco-Exelon takeover ruling. [City Desk, Times, WBJ]
- Circulator drivers demand better pay. [Post]
- David Grosso wants answers over lead in schools’ water. [City Desk]
- Demonstrator arrested protesting Barry Farm development. [Washingtonian]
- More on the staggered school days at Dunbar and McKinley over brawls. [Post]
YOUNG & HUNGRY LINKS, by Jessica Sidman (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Where to enjoy tiki cocktails around D.C. [Eater]
- A new edition of the ethnic dining guide is here. [Tyler Cowen]
- The born-in-Detroit cocktail that has spawned countless variations [Post]
- Eight places to enjoy seafood this spring [DC Refined]
- UberEats expands to Arlington. [ARLnow]
- Take a look inside Bonfire. [BYT]