We know D.C. Get our free newsletter to stay in the know.

Success! You're on the list.

A kitten named Princess Jazzy was allegedly stolen from the Washington Human Society-Washington Animal Rescue League Adoption Center at 1201 New York Ave. NE on Saturday, the Metropolitan Police Department and the merged group say.

The three-month-old brown tabby feline was taken out of the center by a suspect who had arrived with two children, police said in a release on Monday: “While the staff was helping other customers, the suspect walked out with the kitten without paying, and fled.” The incident happened around 5:40 p.m.

“It is hard to believe that someone would commit such a crime,” Scott Giacoppo, WHS-WARL’s chief community welfare officer, said in a statement. “In addition to breaking the law, they have put this kitten’s health in jeopardy by circumventing our easy adoption process, and denying the kitten needed medical care.”

The group is offering $1,000 “for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person or persons responsible for the theft,” it said in a release. People can call the society at 202-576-6664 and D.C. police at 202-727-9099 about the case.

Update 12:15 p.m.: Princess Jazzy has been saved.

According to a WHS-WARL release, MPD officers were able to find her based on a license-plate number that the center’s staffers had recorded on Saturday.” But the incident remains under investigation, it says.

“We are thrilled that Princess Jazzy is back with us safely thanks to the swift actions of the Metropolitan Police Department and alert WHS/WARL staff,” said WHS-WARL President & CEO Lisa LaFontaine in a statement.  “This case is another example of how we will do everything possible to protect the animals in our community, regardless of their size, species or age. We are especially relieved because Princess Jazzy was under medical treatment prior to the theft and she will now continue to get the care she needs as she awaits adoption into a responsible and loving home.”

Today’s announcement comes three days after the kitty went missing.

Photo via D.C. police