Every spring, National Geographic presents a series of free concerts at locations around the country, including its headquarters at 1600 M St. NW. This year’s D.C. calendar features a continuation of the “Rhythm Road: American Music Abroad” program, which began in 2006 as a joint effort of the State Department, Jazz at Lincoln Center, and WPFW radio. “Rhythm Road” provides a forum for U.S. jazz, blues, funk, and hip-hop musicians to reach international audiences.
The 2008 performances, which take place on Thursday nights at 6:00, have just been announced:
- January 17 – The Kelley Johnson Quartet; Universes
- January 24 – The Ryan Cohan Quartet; Exegesis
- March 27 – The Maya Azucena Band; The Sound Merchants
- April 17 – Devin Phillips & New Orleans Straight Ahead; the Dana Leong Band
- May 1 – Chris Byars Quartet; Afar
Visit National Geographic Live on the web for more information about the performances.