Has the year in indie rock been this boring? Or do Pitchfork readers just have really predictable tastes? The website dropped their first annual readers poll yesterday. Here’s the top ten:
01. TV on the Radio: Dear Science
02. Fleet Foxes: Fleet Foxes / Sun Giant EP
03. Vampire Weekend: Vampire Weekend
04. Bon Iver: For Emma, Forever Ago
05. Deerhunter: Microcastle / Weird Era Cont.
06. Portishead: Third
07. MGMT: Oracular Spectacular
08. Cut Copy: In Ghost Colours
09. M83: Saturdays=Youth
10. No Age: Nouns
Some of these records I really dug. I loved both the Deerhunter and No Age LPs. But both didn’t make my top 10. Also interesting, not a single hip-hop album in the readers’ poll. What is up with that? No Kanye? No Flying Lotus? No Q-Tip?
Hopefully very soon, we will start posting our own top-10 lists, debating the year in music, and posting the opinions of local music types. Feel free to slam our lists, too.
*photo of TV On The Radio courtesy of Banquet Records.