In other news besides the obvious, the first of holiday concerts, spectaculars, and recitals have begun! Fear not, there is still lots to do and see. Especially if you feel it’s still too early for the onslaught of holiday cheer, or if your Craigslist guy didn’t come through. Either way, dust off those tacky sweaters and crushed velvet jumper for this weekend’s concert-goings.
SHAME! on The Walkmen for not having a 2-night run in their home town. These guys are about as good as it gets in terms of live performances go—this coming from a gal who saw them after living in Nashville, TN for a year. Really, lead singer Hamilton Leithauser looks like he should be half-assing hours at some boring NGO job he can’t stand instead of fronting a very specific brand of melancholic indie-rock. If you were smart enough to buy advanced tickets, don’t try and decipher why the band sounds so damn sad. With Tennis. 8 p.m. SOLD OUT. 9:30 Club.
The Best of Saturday:
Can you dig soul clap, ping-pong, and pizza in one awesome venue? Sasha Lord has collaborated with DJ Jonathan Toubin for the second annual New York Night Train’s Soul Clap and Dance-off. Kid Congo Powers and Will Eastman will be among the judges. It will be everything good. Competition at midnight; doors open at 10:30 p.m. $5 cover. Comet Ping Pong.
Catch The Antlers before they mosey off to Japan this winter to tour with Local Natives. With The Luvyas. 9:00 p.m. $15. Black Cat.
Sun- and surf-infused good-time music with Chief (not The Chief, simply Chief)might just be the best way to end the first cold week in D.C. The L.A.-based four-piece are masters of pretty, mellow melodies. And if they wear some of those extreme sternum-bearing trendy tank tops, it might be a remedy to early onset seasonal affective disorder. With the Dig and Paul Michel. 8:30 p.m. $10/12. Rock and Roll Hotel.
Belleruche, London’s “turnatable soul trio” takes the stage with opening sets from DJ Christine Moritz and DJ Modest. U Street Music Hall. 9:00 pm. show. $12.
The Rest of Friday:
- GIRLS ROCK! benefit show for the Girls Rock Camp Alliance. 10:30 p.m. Comet Ping Pong.
- Dirty Bomb with Poor But Sexy, JC, and Brooks and the Uptown Sound. 10 p.m. $12.
- Alan Palmer’s New Soil. 8 p.m. $18/$22. Bohemian Caverns.
- Rockapella. Holiday concert. 8 p.m. $28-$44. Hylton Performing Arts Center.
- Four Bitchin’ Babes. Also Saturday. 7:30 p.m. $35. Birchmere.
- Handel’s Messiah with the Cathedral choirs. 7:30 p.m. Also Saturday and Sunday. $20-$80. Washington National Cathedral.
- Scythian and Enter the Haggis. 9 p.m. $15. 9:30 Club.
- Xeno and Oaklander. Screen Vinyl Image. Phonic Riot. Death Domain. 10:00 p.m. $8. Velvet Lounge.
- The Alexandria Symphony performs Duke Ellington’s Nutcracker Suite. 3:00 p.m. $20. Artisphere.
- Danú: Christmas in Ireland. 4 p.m. $26-$42. Hylton Performing Arts Center.
- Bad. Loud.Trio. Call for ticket information. 8:00 & 10:00 p.m. Twins Jazz.