The deadline for entries in the “Washington’s Best Film” contest, sponsored by the D.C. Office Motion Picture and Television Development and the documentary website SnagFilms, has been extended to July 31 after the first few months of the submission period turned up only a handful of entries. The contest, announced March 9, has yielded only six qualifying entries so far, according to film office spokeswoman Leslie Green. The original deadline passed on June 1.
The decision to extend the deadline an additional two months came after a number of requests from Washington-based filmmakers who expressed interested the contest but needed more time to finish their movies, Green says. At least 10 interested filmmakers asked for a few more weeks to finish their productions. The contest also received several entries from production companies with out-of-state return addresses. Even if a prospective entrant was about D.C., Green says, the filmmakers need to be based here.
Assuming the contest gets enough entries by the end of next month, a jury selected by SnagFilms will winnow the field down by Aug. 15. The final round of competition will be screened at Landmark’s E Street Cinema in September.