Get our free newsletter
The Sexist’s morning roundup of District chatter on sex, gender, and Sarah Palin.
* On Slate, Dahlia Lithwick serves Joe Biden with some rules on how to fight a girl. Lithwick, a former parliamentary debater (side-note: totally awesome), gives Biden a frank run-down on how not to lose the Veep debate to Governor Palin. Most of the advice is fine—-don’t leer, don’t condescend, don’t stoop—-until Lithwick slips from the particular Biden/Palin scenario to a generalization about all male/female match-ups.
When Lithwick writes that her “insanely successful college debate friend told me recently that the way he won against women was by always behaving like they were men,” the implication is that minus their feminine wiles—-the lipstick on their pit bulls—-women will lose. After a long explanation of why Biden shouldn’t respond to Palin with Palin tactics, Lithwick’s kicker—-“My best advice to you for dealing with Gov. Palin? Fight like a man. She will.”—-is both confusing and lame. Who’s the man what now?
* The Washington Post marches boldly on with their “Wedding Week” coverage. At 1 p.m. today, join the authors of The Bridal Wave: A Survival Guide to the Everyone-I-Know-Is-Getting-Married Years for a live online chat. Ask Erin Torneo and Valerie Cabrera Krause how people who desperately wish they were married manage to be more tragic than the people who actually publicly declare how they’re going to love each other forever in front of everyone they know. Including their parents.
* Wait, coverage of marriage issues that doesn’t include pandering to the wedding industry? The Blade tips you off to a panel discussion on marriage rights in California and Massachusetts, tonight at 6:30 at the University of California Washington Center. UCWC is located at 1608 Rhode Island Avenue NW.
* The New Gay chronicles the “hidden history” of the women behind the writings of Victorian author Michael Field.
* Via Wonkette: Michelle dances with Ellen. Possible next First Lady jam: Rihanna‘s “Don’t Stop the Music.” Last year, Barack got down to Beyonce‘s “Crazy in Love.” Umm, I only watch Ellen when an Obama is on the show, does she make everyone do this?
Photo by NCinDC.