The GLLU, MPD’s Gay and Lesbian Liason Unit, serves the District’s Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender communities. As the inauguration neared, police activity ramped up. A round-up of inauguration week crime reports—including some unsupervised homeless house guests—below.
* At 3:30 a.m. on Jan. 14, 2009, police responded to Adams Morgan for a neighborly dispute. The callers asserted that they were being “harassed by other building residents because of their sexual orientation.” The other building residents had a different perspective—-they said the callers were “creating an undesirable living environment in the building by having large, loud parties late at night, inviting homeless people to stay in their apartment without supervision, and also allowing their guests to verbally abuse building residents and owners.” MPD referred the case to Landlord-Tenant Court and the D.C. Office of Human Rights.
* At 11 a.m. on Jan. 14, 2009, a man called the police to report his former partner “acting violently and threatening the kill him.” The partner, who “is now mentally disabled and in the victim’s care,” was taken into custody and referred to the Comprehensive Psychological Emergency Program.
* At 10 p.m. on Jan. 14, 2009, police responded to a Southeast apartment after a report of arson. There, they found their suspect—-a woman who had “intentionally set fire to her girlfriend’s clothing.” No one was hurt. The woman was arrested.
* On Jan. 14, 2009, a female Virginian contacted the GLLU ro report the “vicitmization” of an elderly Southeast woman. The woman had “allowed a much younger male acquaintance to stay with her in her apartment,” but then fell ill, was admitted to the hospital, and recuperated while the male proceeded to use “her check book and credit cards without her authorization.”
* At 8 p.m. on Jan. 15, 2009, police responded to 4400 Connecticut Ave. NW for a deceased person. There, they found an “adult male” who had “committed suicide by ingesting an undetermined quantity of prescription medications. “
* At 7 p.m. on Jan. 16, 2009, the GLLU, the Financial Crimes Unit, and the United States Postal Inspector teamed up to search a Southeast residence “related to an investigation into credit card and prescription fraud.” One suspect—-identified as “a male-to-female Transgender adult”—-was arrested.
* At 7:15 p.m. on Jam. 16, 2009, police located “an adult female,” in the alley near the 1300 block of 10th St. NW. The woman was in serious condition, “suffering from serious injuries to her head and face,” after an apparent mugging. The suspect is described as a 20-something “black male, wearing a black coat and black pants.”
* At 3:30 a.m. on Jan. 17, 2009, the GLLU responded to a call for an assault in Dupont Circle. When they arrived, they were directed to two married individuals by an uninvolved witnesses who had observed the man push the woman “into a plate glass window, causing her to fall to the ground.” The woman was uninjured; the man was arrested.
* At 4:30 a.m. on Jan. 19, 2009, police responded to the call of a “disorderly customer” inside a business at the 1600 block of 17th St. NW. Employees advised police that the man “was acting in a bizarre manner and was asked to leave.” He left—-then broke the front window “with his bare hands.” The man was admitted for psychological review.
* At 9:30 p.m. on Jan. 19, 2009, police responded to a New Hampshire Ave. apartment for the report of an assault. There, they found “a group of men disputing over the ownership of a laptop computer.” The dispute centered around two ex-boyfriends “who had recently broken up and were arguing over shared property.” No assault had actually occurred.
* In the evening of Jan. 21, 2009, the GLLU was contacted to help with “an allegation of a robbery and sexual assault” near 1st St. and New York Ave. NW. The victim, “a male-to-female Transgender individual,” said that around 1 a.m. that morning, “she was kidnapped, robbed and sexually assaulted by three suspects.” She couldn’t provide a detailed description of the suspects, but offered that one of the attackers was “a black male-to-female Transgender individual, approximately 6’ tall with a dark skin complexion . . . a brown wig and had a light mustache.”
photo by sneakerdog