We know D.C. Get our free newsletter to stay in the know.
Getting specific on sexism: CV Harquail applies her “6 Degrees of Sexism Test” to The Daily Show to determine whether the organization, as a whole, is sexist. Taken into consideration are:
1. The leader’s behavior
2. The organization’s demographic composition
3. The experiences of people within the organization
4. The organization’s practices & systems
5. The organization’s product, and
6. The organization’s social impact.
Harquail can’t give offer a definitive judgment in any of these categories. “To be sure, whether or not an organization is sexist is a complex call—There are arguments for and against The Daily Show’s sexism, on every criterion,” she writes. But after performing her own analysis, Harquail concludes that the show “squeaks by with a ‘pass.'”