Get our free newsletter
The Hubbard Place Apartments at 3500 14th Street
Earlier today, Mayor Adrian Fenty, Ward 1 Councilmember Jim Graham, and execs from Somerset Development Company joined others for the dedication of a 230-unit affordable housing building at the corner of 14th Street and Otis Place in Columbia Heights. Built in 1927, the Hubbard Place Apartments were just given a $52 million face-lift, complete with new elevators, new community spaces and a computer lab, new kitchen and baths, windows, roof, and all new common areas, according to a press release sent out by the city.
The event today was also a renaming and dedication. The building was formerly called the Cavalier Apartments, but was renamed for Leroy Hubbard, “a community leader who dedicated his career to expanding affordable housing and reviving 14th Street,” the press release states. “He was a founding member, the first executive director, and a board member for 22 years of the Development Corporation of Columbia Heights. As a leader of the 14th Street Project Area Committee, he was instrumental in laying out the vision of the Columbia Heights neighborhood as we see it today. He served as a pro bono advocate for numerous tenant associations, among them Urban Village and the Cavalier Apartments.” The apartments are Section 8 housing.