There’s still time to nominate local icons for Best of D.C.
On Friday, the city announced its short list of developers for Hine Junior High School, one of 11 properties offered up for redevelopment in late 2008.
Hine, which is located right by Eastern Market in Southeast Capitol Hill, drew the greatest number of proposals. Out of the ten, one in particular looked pretty special: The Tiger Woods Foundation wanted to take over the site.
As I wrote in April, if TWF’s plan was selected, “the complex would become home to the next Tiger Woods Learning Center, which hosts, among other things, classes in “career exploration” and “career preparation” for older school-age kids. Topics include: Aerospace, Communications, Digital Manufacturing, Multimedia, Robotics, Universal Science or Engineering.”
Unfortunately, for whatever reason, the foundation’s proposal was one of four removed from the list. The Deputy Mayor for Planning and Economic Development released few details about any of the proposals. But in its latest press release, there’s mention of “new housing, office space, nonprofit space and neighborhood-serving retail.”
All will be revealed soon!
The announcement also adds: “On June 10th the District will host a community meeting at nearby Tyler Elementary School where each of the development teams will share their proposals with the public. Located at1001 G Street SE, the meeting will begin at 6:00 p.m.”
Here’s the short-list:
1. Quadrangle Development Corporation/CapStone Development, LLC
2. Amber Real Estate/Holladay Corporation/Widewaters Group, Inc./PGN Architects
3. StreetSense/DSF/Menkiti Group
4. EQR (Equity Residential)/Mosaic Urban Partners
5. EYA/Neighborhood Development Corporation
6. The Bozzutto Group/Scallan Properties/Lehr Jackson Associates/E.R. Bacon Development, LLC/Blue Skye Development/CityStrategy, LLC
7. National Leadership Campus/Western Development Group
8. Tiger Woods Foundation
9. Stanton Development Corporation/Eastbanc Inc./Autopark Inc./The Jarvis Companies/Dantes Partners
10. Mix at Eastern Market: Donohoe Development Company/Holland