Do you have a plan to vote?
Let us tell you the information you need to register and cast a ballot in D.C.
The Washington Post is reporting today on various disputes that arose during yesterday’s Human Services Committee hearing after the group’s chair, Ward 6 Councilmember Tommy Wellsclaimed that the D.C. government had quietly cut $20 million from homeless services.
The two main points of contention:
- Clarence Carter, director of the D.C. Department of Human Services, said Wells was misinformed about the budget: roughly $12 million had been cut—-not $20 million.
- Shelter managers and other providers said they knew nothing about the budget cuts until late September. DHS director Carter said his office had begun reaching out to providers in July. (The new fiscal year began last week.)
On Friday, a coalition of homeless service providers released a statement saying some 100 families and nearly 500 women were at risk of losing their beds, if the cuts remained in place, according to thePost.