Sign up for our free newsletter
Lower Wisconsin Avenue isn’t known for its diplomatic buildings, but it’s getting a big one soon: In early November, the African Union picked up the historic West Georgetown School at 1640 Wisconsin Avenue NW for $6.5 million.
The American College of Surgeons, which had owned the building since 1988, moved into huge new digs at 20 F Street last year in order to be closer to the Capitol and other advocacy groups like the American Medical Association. The Addis Ababa-based African Union staff didn’t return Housing Complex’s email, but the ACS’s Chief Financial Officer confirms that the organization bought the building for use as a consulate.
Not sure what this means in terms of international relations, but welcome to Georgetown? Bean Counter across the street has pretty good coffee…