Sign up for our free newsletter
Free D.C. news, delivered to your inbox daily.
Since January’s announcement that Savor: An American Craft Beer and Food Experience would be returning to DC, the Lagerheads have been counting down the days to this great tasting event. At Savor 2008, we tried some great beer-paired dishes, sampled almost 30 beers between the two of us, and got the chance to thank many of our favorite brewers for their divine art as they personally filled our glasses.
The badthings about Savor, aside from it being so darn expensive, is that such a limited number of people will be able to enjoy it this year. The event is one night only, Saturday, May 30, and tickets sold out two months in advance. Luckily, we managed to finagle a free ticket since the event’s organizers at the Brewer’s Association used a photograph of the Lagerheads’ “Better Half” in this year’s promotion. (If you visit the site, you will notice a prominently placed picture of Tammy checking out the clarity of a Lost Abbey Judgment Day. $Cha-ching$)
Arguably the best thing about Savor is the number of great brewers and beers the festival brings to DC in the days immediately before and after the event. With the help of members of our local beer intelligence network, we compiled a list of beer-related events in the area over the next few weeks, Savor-related and beyond:
MONDAY, MAY 25
- Craft Beer Trivia Night at Fado –See how much you know about beer and craft brewing at Fado’s regular trivia night. They are doing a craft beer theme this week. 7pm. Call: 202-789-0066.
TUESDAY, MAY 26
- SAVOR Sampling Party at RFD – Enjoy an evening with 13 breweries in town participating in Savor. Reps will talk about the beers. Back room. 6:30-9:30pm. Call 202-289-2030.
- Flying Dog and Wild Goose at the Brickskeller – Enjoy the breweries’ most popular beers as well as Real Ale in cask, a firkin of Double Dog Double IPA, Dog Schwarz, Barrel Aged Gonzo 2008, and more. 7-11pm, $25. Call 202-293-1885.
- French Craft Beer Dinner with Jocelyn Cambier at Brasserie Beck – Savor five fine Belgian-style craft beers from France, carefully paired with a four-course meal. 7-10pm, $85. Call 202-408-1717.
WEDNESDAY, MAY 27
- Capitol Hill Craft Beer Bar Tour beginning at Hawk ‘n’ Dove – Join Breweryfans.com on a tour of bars in Capitol Hill that carry great craft beer. Sign up at Hawk ‘n’ Dove between 6:00 and 7:30pm. Call 202-543-4660.
- Flying Dog Tweet Up at Luna Grill – Meet fellow Twitterers for an evening of Flying Dog beer. 6pm. Call 202-835-2280.
- Southampton “Meet the Brewer” at Rocket Bar – Join the Southampton brewer for sampling and Q&A of their wide array of lagers and ales from New York. 6-8pm. Call 202-628-7665.
- Sam Adams Beer Dinner at the Darlington House – Savor a four-course meal and at least four Sam Adams beers at this On Tap event. 7:30pm, $35. Call 202-332-3722.
THURSDAY, MAY 28
- Flying Dog “Meet the Brewers” at RFD and Bourbon – Speak with the brewers of Flying Dog at either location while tasting their great beers. 4-7pm. Call 202-289-2030 (Bourbon) or 202-625-7770 (RFD). The Reef will also be hosting a Flying Dog event this night with happy hour specials on selected brews all night. 5pm-close. Call 202-518-3800.
- Ommegang Tasting at Whole Foods on P Street – Meet representatives from Ommegang’s great Belgian-style beer brewery to taste their beers including Three Philosophers, Hennepin, Witte, and Rave Vos. 4-7pm. Call 202-332-4300.
- Tröegs Glassware Night at Axis Bar and Grill – Join a Tröegs Brewery rep for a great night of Tröegs beer specials and complimentary glassware. 5-9pm. Call 202-319-1341.
- Magic Hat Tasting at the Wine Specialist – Enjoy some great Magic Hat beers from their more mainstream to their specialty brews. 5:30-7pm. Call 202-833-0707.
- H Street Beer Bar Tour beginning at The Red and the Black / Palace of Wonders – Tour the beer bars of H Street and try the craft beers they stock. Bars include Rock and Roll Hotel, Palace of Wonders, Dr. Granville Moore’s, The Pug, and Sticky Rice. 6-8pm. Call 202-399-3831.
- Sierra Nevada’s Artisian Ale Experience at Stoney’s – Join Ken Grossman, Founder of Sierra Nevada Brewing, at Stoney’s (upstairs) for an opportunity to sample rare Sierra brews including Chico IPA, Kellerweis Hefeweizen, Brown Saison, Pale Ale, and Summerfest. 6-9pm, $20 for all you can drink. Purchase tickets at Stoney’s, 1433 P St. NW, Washington, DC.
- Dogfish Head Cooking Class at CulinAerie – Learn how to cook with Dogfish Head beers at this popular community culinary center. 6:30pm, $85. Call 202-236-6111.
- Port Brewing Company Beer Dinner at Birreria Paradiso – Savor a four-course/six-beer dinner with Port Brewing’s Tomme Arthur. Seatings at 6:30pm and 9pm, $65. Call 202-337-4936.
- Avery Dinner with Adam Avery at Rustico – Join in the celebration of craft beer and food excellence as Adam Avery hosts this is five-course tasting menu with eight different Avery beers. 7-10pm, $69. Call 703-224-5051 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Carol Stoudt at the Brickskeller – Sample some of the Brickskeller’s rarest beers, including a 21-year-old Thomas Hardy Ale, with this premier and preeminent female brewer. 7-11pm, $20. Call 202-293-1885.
FRIDAY, MAY 29
- Anchor Steam Tasting at Whole Foods on P Street – Sample Anchor Steam beers. 5-8pm. Call 202-332-4300.
- Southampton Tasting at Wagner’s Liquors – Sample Southampton beers. 5-8pm. Call 202-232-1900.
- Magic Hat Tasting at Dixie Liquors – Sample Magic Hat beers. 5-8pm. Call 202-338-3494.
- Sierra Nevada Meet & Greet & Glassware Giveaway at Rustico – Meet Steve Grossman, co-owner and Brewery Ambassador of Sierra Nevada Brewing Company, and his daughter (and Brand Manager) Sierra Grossman. 5-10pm. Call 703-224-5051.
- Harpoon “Meet the Brewer” at Stoney’s – Visit Stoney’s at 1433 P Street NW to sample Harpoon beers and chat with the brewer. Call 202-234-1818.
- Meet the Brewers at Birreria Paradiso – Join brewers from Clipper City, Southampton, Stoudt’s, Anchor Steam, and Ommegang to sample the craft beer. 9pm. Call 202-337-1245.
- Lupulin Reunulin at RFD – Julie Bradford, editor of All About Beer Magazine, hosts an evening with Tomme Arthur of Pizza Port/Port and Lost Abbey Brewing Company, Vinnie Cilurzo of Russian River, Adam Avery of Avery Brewery, Rob Tod of Allagash, local legend Bill Madden, and Sam Calagione of Dogfish Head. 7pm, $40. Call 202-289-2030.
SATURDAY, MAY 30
- Maryland Brewer’s Springfest in Frederick – The Frederick Keys play host to this annual event at Harry Grove Stadium. 12-8pm, $17 advance, $25 at the door. Call 877-846-5397.
- SAVOR: an American Craft Beer & Food Experience at the National Building Museum – Enjoy a reception-style sampling of 35+ sweet and savory appetizers and over 120 craft beers from 65 breweries and converse with the brewery owners, brewers and representatives. 7-11pm, $95. Call 303-447-0816 x102.
MONDAY, JUNE 1
- Stone Beer at the Brickskeller – Brewer Greg Koch of Stone Brewing comes back to the Brickskeller with a great selection of beers from his cutting edge San Diego Brewery. 7-11pm, $35. Call 202-293-1885.
TUESDAY, JUNE 2
- Beer and Chocolate Collaboration at Brasserie Beck – A heavenly four-course dinner that marries Belgian beer with selections from Divine Chocolate. 7pm, $85. Call 202-408-1717.
WEDNESDAY, JUNE 3
- Clipper City Dinner at Tuscarora Mill – Enjoy six Clipper City/Heavy Seas beers including Red Sky at Night on cask paired with a five-course dinner hosted by Tuscarora Mills and Hugh Sisson, founding partner of Clipper City. 7-9pm, $75. Call 703-771-9300.
WEDNESDAY, JUNE 10
- “He Said Beer, She Said Wine” Dinner with Sam Calagione & Marnie Old at Brasserie Beck – For one night only, Sam Calagione, owner and founder of Dogfish Head Brewery, and Marnie Old, master wine sommelier, will host a four-course meal paired with beer and wine delights while discussing their book He Said Beer, She Said Wine. 7-10pm. $85. Call 202-408-1717.
MONDAY, JUNE 15
- Rogue Dinner at Birreria Paradiso – Enjoy delicious pizza made with special ingredients to pair with Rogue brews. Seatings at 6:30pm and 9pm, $65. Call 202-337-1245.