We know D.C. Get our free newsletter to stay in the know.
Carol Blymire, otherwise known as the fearless foodie behind the Alinea at Home blog, had a serious scare this afternoon when her United flight from Reagan had to make an emergency landing in Pittsburgh. This news report makes it sound so blasé.
Blymire’s Tweets, once they were safely on the ground in Pittsburgh, spell out a much more harrowing tale, including her frustrations with a certain passenger, Sen. Roland Burris:
- Just crash-landed in Pittsburgh. Hydraulic system failure. We’re all okay, but HOLY FUCK. Holy holy fuck. #gladtobealive about 3 hours ago from Twitterrific
- We ended up at the very end of the runway, surrounded by fire trucks and ambulances. Pilot was cool as a cucumber. Could kiss him. about 3 hours ago from Twitterrific
More Tweets after the jump.
- Sitting in the airport with my seatmates and my new best friend, Ketel One. http://yfrog.com/7gq75j about 3 hours ago from Twitterrific
- To answer Qs – many ppl crying, some in crash position, not a lot of talk from the cockpit, scary to circle over water for 30 minutes. about 3 hours ago from Twitterrific
- Senator Burris was one of the first off the plane. Haven’t seen him since. about 2 hours ago from Twitterrific
- Reading news reports re: emerg. landing. Burris did not help elderly woman off plane, nor was there a loud bang. He’s lying. about 1 hour ago from Twitterrific
- There was a grinding noise in rows 15-17 along the wing, but no loud bang. about 1 hour ago from Twitterrific
- And the crew is the one who got the blind woman off the plane. She wasn’t elderly. Just had grey-ish hair. about 1 hour ago from Twitterrific
- Not sure why Senator Burris feels the need to lie or exaggerate. It was scary enough with what honestly happened. What a jerk. about 1 hour ago from Twitterrific
- Overheard two employees saying we hit a flock of birds just after takeoff. about 1 hour ago from Twitterrific
- We’re boarding new flight. Trying not to crap self. about 1 hour ago from Twitterrific
- Again, there was whirring and grinding and a strange smell a few minutes after takeoff. No loud bang or deafening noise, as Burros said. about 1 hour ago from Twitterrific
- They told us right away they thought it was hydraulic problem, but that they thought we were okay. They changed their mind about 30 min.ltr. about 1 hour ago from Twitterrific
- Getting ready for takeoff. Taking deep breath. Still pissed re: Burris. Irresponsible. 37 minutes ago from Twitterrific
Photo from Alinea at Home