We know D.C. Get our free newsletter to stay in the know.
Maybe you’ve noticed the KC Pit BBQ truck squatted at the corner of Fourth Street and New York Avenue NW. Frankly, I don’t know how you could miss it. The damn thing takes up nearly an entire block, and that doesn’t count the separate, customized wood-smoke pit hidden behind the massive 18-wheeler.
The tractor-trailer has been hovering in the District for a few weeks now, serving up K.C.-style ribs and rib tips, among other smoky things. Y&H stopped by for a visit this weekend and sampled the ribs. I’ll post more about that later, but in the meantime, I thought you might be interested in a look inside this portable kitchen, which is actually based in Georgia, not Kansas City (more on that later, too).
According to this specs page, the nearly 54-foot-long truck features:
- Walk in Cooler
- Walk in Freezer
- Dry Storage Area
- Total Interchangeable Kitchen
- Double Stack Convection Oven
- 6-Hole Steam Table & Upright Warmers
- Grill/Stove top
- Deep Fryers
- 4-Drawing Cabinet
- Hand Sink
- 3-Hole Dish Sink/Dishwashing Station
- Plasma Screen Televisions equipped with Satellite and Surround Sound
- Storm Curtains in the case of inclement weathers
- 100 Gallon Diesel Storage
- 300 Gallon Fresh Water tank