We know D.C. Get our free newsletter to stay in the know.
UPDATE: 2:20 p.m. Friday
You think the blizzard was tough on you? Try being a winter farmer with a greenhouse to tend. Keeping those hothouses warm and wired to electricity was a challenge for a number of regional farmers.
Regardless, many of them plan to make the long drive in and sell their produce at our area farmers markets this weekend. Here’s a quick check on the winter markets and whether they’re open:
- FRESHFARM Market Dupont Circle will be open. Spring Valley Farm and Wollam Gardens will be no shows this weekend.
- FRESHFARM Market Silver SpringThe Silver Spring market switched to year-round service just this year. It plans to be open on Saturday. It’s unknown which vendors will arrive.
- Eastern Market Outdoor Farmers Market The outdoor market will be open and following its usual hours.
- Arlington Farmers MarketThe market will be open as usual on Saturday. Most of the vendors are expected to be there.
- Bethesda United Church of Christ Farmers Market Twin Springs Fruit Farm will be selling its usual produce inside the church at Fernwood Road and Democracy Boulevard on Saturday, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Takoma Park Farmers MarketThey’ve plowed the streets and will be ready for business on Sunday. Most of the winter vendors are expected to be there.
- Montgomery Farm Women’s Cooperative MarketNo word yet on whether this market will open.
- Alexandria Farmers Market Now word on whether this market will open, either.
- Smart Market Oakton The producer-only market, launched two years ago, will be open at the Unity of Fairfax Church in Oakton from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Smart’s Tuesday market at 11895 Grand Commons Avenue will also be open.
- La Plata Farmers Market in Charles County will be open or at least, “I haven’t heard anything to the contrary,” says a spokesperson. The market is located at Charles Street and Washington Avenue in the courthouse parking lot in La Plata.
Y&H will provide updates as they arrive.