Get to know D.C. with our daily newsletter
We dive deep on the day’s biggest story and share links to everything you need to know.
Just call Derek Brown, left, Mr. Outstanding Wine and Spirits Professional
Y&H is a behind on this (hey, if you want excuses, I got a million of ’em!), but I wanted to offer my congratulations to the local semi-finalists for this year’s James Beard Awards. It’s an impressive list, one filled with many of Y&H’s favorites.
Compare this year’s semi-finalists to last year’s, and you’ll see the D.C. area had a couple more nominees in 2010. The local nominees are listed after the jump.
- Ashok Bajaj, owner of 701, Ardeo, Bardeo, Bibiana Osteria-Entoteca, The Bombay Club, The Oval Room, and Rasika.
- José Andrés, minibar
RISING STAR CHEF OF THE YEAR
- Johnny Monis, Komi
BEST NEW RESTAURANT
OUTSTANDING PASTRY CHEF
- Amanda Cook, CityZen
OUTSTANDING WINE SERVICE
OUTSTANDING WINE AND SPIRITS PROFESSIONAL
- Derek Brown, The Passenger
BEST CHEF: MID-ATLANTIC
- Cathal Armstrong, Restaurant Eve
- Tony Conte, The Oval Room
- Melissa Close Hart, Palladio at Barboursville Vineyards in Barboursville
- Peter Pastan, Obelisk
- Vikram Sunderam, Rasika
- Bryan Voltaggio, Volt in Frederick
- Spike Gjerde, Woodberry Kitchen in Baltimore