Yesterday, Y&H shared a small, informal survey about what food will be the next “pork belly.” Today, we have a larger, slightly more scientific survey from the National Restaurant Association, which polled more than 1,800 chefs for their thoughts on future restaurant trends.
While there are few surprises, I find it interesting that the chefs toe the line on two seemingly unstoppable movements: the local/seasonal and the sustainable movements. I have to wonder whether this is because customers are demanding these changes or because the chefs themselves understand the importance of the issues that underpin these movements.
In other words, will these views trickle down to the public? Or are they trickling up? Your thoughts, Y&H Nation?
The top 10 trends after the jump.
- locally grown produce
- locally sourced meats and seafood
- locally produced wine and beer.
- nutritionally balanced children’s dishes
- half-portions/smaller portions for a smaller price
- farm/estate-branded ingredients
- gluten-free/food-allergy conscious meals
- sustainable seafood
You can read the full list here.