We know you’ve been watching the clock all day, waiting for The Lagerheads to guide you to a top D.C. Beer Week destination. Tonight’s become the busiest billing of the week, with fourteen scheduled opportunities to champion craft beer. Easy to be overwhelmed, we know, so here are our picks and a complete list after the jump.
The Schlafly dinner at Meridian Pint is likely to be one of the best events of the week. If seats are not sold out, $65 will get you a five-course dinner created by Chef David Shewmaker paired with a selection of five unique Schlafly beers chosen by Beer Director Sam Fitz. The dinner will be guided by the Saint Louis Brewery co-founderDan Kopman, who will discuss his role in the craft beer movement as well as his line of outstanding beers.
You and your four-legged best friend can enjoy an evening together on the patio at DC Bread & Brew with Flying Dog. The “Yappy Hour” will feature both human and dog food specials including doggy ice cream, and bottles of Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA, Doggie Style Classic Pale Ale, Old Scratch Amber Lager, and Double Dog Double Pale Aleare $4 each. At 11.5% ABV, a few of those Double Dogs could make you (or your little pup) a very cheap (and drunk) date.
Like oysters? Then The Reef should be your top choice tonight, where you can take part in 3,000 oysters, 7 beers from Rogue Ales, and five special pairing dishes prepared by talented Chef Connor Ireland. In addition to the beers below, they’ll be pouring Dead Guy Ale and Chatoe Rogue First Growth OREgasmic Ale, an amber brewed with hops and malt grown on Rogue’s own micro hopyard and barley farm. Pairing menu:
- American Amber Ale: Cured hog jowel with pistachio, plum, and cardomom
- Somer Orange Honey Ale: Seared plaintains and bison shortrib with pulverised gingerbread
- Kells Irish Style Lager: Kielbasa with spicy greens and cherries, apple cider glaze
- Imperial Younger’s Special Bitter: Marrow bones with sherry and raisins, on toast
- John John Hazelnut Brown Nectar: Unripe banana and kiwi with tapioca dumpling and parsley sauce
Other standouts from tonight’s options are the Schmaltz ((makers of He’Brew and Coney Island beers) night at District Pour House with charismatic brewery founder Jeremy Cowan, and the chance to drink from a firkin of Reissdorf Kolsch with Belgian Beer Knight Bill Catron at Biergarten Haus, but check out tonight’s complete list below and see what looks good for yourself. More details on any event can be found in our D.C. Beer Events Calendar.
- Flying Dog Yappy Hour at DC Bread & Brew (4:00-8:00pm, $4 bottles)
- Sam Adams Oktoberfest Kick-Off at RFD (4:00-10:00pm, $4 per pint)
- Half-Price Draft Happy Hour at Pizzeria Paradiso (5:00-7:00pm)
- Heavy Seas Cask Night at Thunder Burger (5:00-8:00pm)
- Rogue Ales Oyster Fest at The Reef (5:00-10:00pm)
- DC Brau Owners Meet & Greet at The Big Hunt (5:30-7:30pm)
- Abita Happy Hour at Eatonville (6:00-9:00pm, $10 for first beer and hors d’ouerves, $5 per beer)
- Three-Course Beer & Food Pairing Menu at Dino (6:00-9:30pm, $39)
- Victory Cask Night at ChurchKey (6:00-10:00pm)
- Opposite Night & Homebrew Swap at Breadsoda (6:00-10:00pm, Free 8oz. beer with each pint purchased)
- Schmaltz Night with Founder Jeremy Cowan at Distrtict Pour House (6:00-8:00pm)
- Duvel Green Tasting at ChurchKey (7:00-8:00pm, Free)
- Schlafly Dinner with Founder Dan Kopman at Meridian Pint (7:00-10:00pm, $65)
- Reissdorf Kolsch Firkin Night with Bill Catron at Biergarten Haus (7:00-9:00pm)
- Brooklyn Pint Night at The Pug (8:00-10:00pm)