It’s last call for D.C. Beer Week with the final batch of events tonight and a few stragglers over the weekend. Below are some notes on the events that caught our eye. Check out the full list after the jump and let us know which ones are getting your drool going in the comments section.
Our top pick is the Michigan Rare Craft Beer Blowout at The Big Hunt. You don’t have to be a Midwest transplant to go bonkers over beer from breweries like Founders, Bell’s, New Holland, and Jolly Pumpkin. List highlights include rarities like Founders Canadian Breakfast Stout, a Canadian maple syrup barrel-aged version of the brewery’s Breakfast Stout made with oats, chocolate, and coffee, and a sneak preview keg of Bell’s Hopslam, the hyped, honeyed Imperial IPA that hopheads eagerly await the release of each January. And then there are the always-rare sour ales from Jolly Pumpkin. These delicate, funky beers aren’t for everyone, but Big Hunt bar manager and craft beer advocate Dave Coleman managed to get some bottles of Calabaza Blanca and Weizen Bam for the devoted.
You can also meet one of the brewers from Flying Dog and sample the first batch of Snake Dog IPA on draft in D.C. at the Black Squirrel tonight. Our other pick is the Beer 101 Class and Tasting at RFD, where studious newbies can sample ten beers while learning about different styles and the brewing process, all for the bargain price of $26. For Saturday, there were rumors about a downtown pub crawl from District Chophouse to Gordon Biersch to Capitol City to sample all three of the collaboration Altbiers brewed at each local brewpub for D.C. Beer Week. More on that collaboration beer and the story behind it next week from The Lagerheads and The Beerspotter. [UPDATE: All three versions of this D.C. Beer Week collaboration ale “Alt Together Now” will be tapped Saturday from 3:00 to 7:00pm at ChurchKey, along with three cask-condition versions of District Chophouse’s version. Representatives from each brewery on hand to discuss their beers.]
Here is the full list of events this weekend. More details on any event can be found in our D.C. Beer Events Calendar.
- Belgian Beer Happy Hour at Belga Café (4:00-6:00pm)
- Great Lakes Happy Hour at RFD (4:00-7:00pm, $4 per pint)
- Beer Week Wrap-Up Specials at Meridian Pint (5:00-8:00pm)
- Flying Dog Brewer Meet & Greet at The Black Squirrel (6:00-7:30pm)
- Canned Beer Night at Policy (6:00-9:00pm)
- Three-Course Pairing Menu at Dino (6:00-9:30pm, $39)
- Michigan Rare Craft Beer Blowout at The Big Hunt (7:30pm-Close)
- Beer Tasting 101 Class at RFD (8:00-9:30pm, $26)
- DC Brewpub Collaboration “Alt Together Now” Tapping Party at ChurchKey (3:00-7:00pm)
- Firkin Spectacular at RFD (7:00-9:30pm, $40)
- Sunset Kayak & Flying Dog Tasting at Jack’s Boathouse / Old Glory (6:00-9:00pm, $39)
- Stella Artois Perfect Pour Contest at Belga Café (2:00-5:00pm)