For gung-ho grown ups, it’s an excuse for a party, though events open to the public aren’t quite as ubiquitous as one might think. Could be the wee hour of the festivities. According to the royal schedule, the royal family will travel to Westminster Abbey around 5 a.m. eastern standard time with the actual royal ceremony scheduled for 6 a.m. In the event you’re royally galvanized to celebrate the night before or even watch that morning, we offer some local options in gawking and gulping:
- Union Jack’s Bethesda and Union Jack’s Ballston host a viewing party breakfast beginning at 5 a.m. $10 buys bottomless mimosas and bloody marys, $5 for Pimms Cups.
- The Ritz-Carlton will offer a full buffet, a hat contest and a viewing party the morning of the ceremony, beginning at 5 a.m. in The Lobby Cafe. For $40 a person, diners can choose from berries, yogurt and granola, eggs, ham, turkey, pastries and desserts.
- Pre-party April 28th at The Peacock Cafe, a gussied up Georgetown affair from 6:30 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. $40 ticket includes appetizers and a cocktail, with the ticket price to benefit Capital Breast Care Center.
- Reynolds Tavern in Annapolis features a day of festivities, which includes breakfast, carriage rides, afternoon lunch and tea and an alleged visit by Her Royal Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.
- Check out the ChariTeaParty April 28th at 1824 R Street for tea and dessert from 8 p.m.. to 11 p.m. for $35. Overnight guests can fork over $500 for an overnight stay in the mansion and an early morning viewing party. Proceeds benefit Centrepoint Homeless Youth Services.
- From noon on Friday until 3 a.m. Saturday, celebrate on H Street at the brand new Queen Vic. The wedding will be on a loop and select food and drinks are $5.
Photo by Nick Warner/Creative Commons Attribution License