Do you have a plan to vote?
Let us tell you the information you need to register and cast a ballot in D.C.
We can't make City Paper without you
Last year the hopfest lasted a week. In the JulyPA Days sequel, the taps at all three Pizzeria Paradiso locations will pour a rotating variety of deliciously bitter India pale ales all month. With 42 draft lines across the Old Town Alexandria, Dupont Circle and Georgetown bars, the event is a true tribute to hops and those who love them.
Nothing but IPAs may sound monotonous, but the originally British India pale ale style comes in a wide variety of flavors these days, from strong, malty double and imperial IPAs like Southern Tier 2X or Firestone Walker Double Jack to silky wheat IPAs like Lagunitas Little Sumpin’ Sumpin’ and spicy rye IPAs like Harpoon Rich & Dan’s Ale. Don’t forget the dark, roasted black IPAs like Stone Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale or 21st Amendment Back in Black. Then there’s all the interesting stuff coming from Danish breweries like XBeeriment, Evil Twin, Mikkeller, and To Øl (a new brewery started by two former students from Mikkeller founder Mikkel Borg Bjergsø‘s high school homebrew class).
Each location’s current draft line-up is after the jump, as well as some very special items to look forward to. But check Paradiso’s online draft menu for up-to-date lists.
Dupont (2003 P Street NW, Washington, DC)
- Smuttynose “Finestkind” IPA
- Weyerbacher Double Simcoe IPA
- Firestone Walker Double Jack
- Dogfish Hellhound On My Ale
- Harpoon 100bbl Series: Rich & Dan’s Rye IPA
- 21st Amendment Brew Free or Die
- Mikkeller Single Hop series: Sorachi Ace
- d’Achouffe Houblon Chouffe
- Mikkeller Centennial Single Hop Series
- North Coast Acme IPA
- Southern Tier Iniquity
- Xbeeriment Madraz IPA
Cask: Pratt St. Ale House Oliver’s Strongman dry hopped with Sorachi Ace
Georgetown (3282 M Street NW, Washington, DC)
- Southern Tier 2xIPA
- New Holland Oak Hatter
- Breckenridge 471 Small Batch IPA
- Flying Dog Imperial Single Hop Centennial IPA
- Long Trail Double IPA
- Lost Rhino Face Plant
- Mikkeller Amarillo Single Hop Series
- Mikkeller Simcoe Single Hop Series
- Moylans IPA
- Nectar Ales Nectar IPA
- Schlafly Export IPA
- Sierra Nevada Southern Hemisphere
- Stone Cali-Belgique
- Stoudts Double IPA
- Xbeeriment Hoppenheimer Imperial IPA
- 21st Amendment Back in Black
Cask: Oskar Blues Dales Pale Ale
Old Town (124 King Street, Alexandria, VA)
- Uinta Detour Double IPA
- Ballast Point Big Eye
- Ballast Point Sculpin
- Firestone Walker Union Jack
- Green Flash Imperial IPA
- Green Flash West Coast IPA
- Left Hand 400lb Monkey
- Olde Richmond No. 11
- Otter Creek Alpine Black
- Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale
- Terrapin Hopsecutioner
- Thornbridge Jaipur
- Thornbridge Raven
- Wintercoat Double Hop
Cask: Schlalfy Dry Hopped APA
- Evil Twin Cats Piss & Before During & After Christmas
- To Øl First Frontier IPA
- Loup Rouge Phare de I’lle, Lile de Grace & Fand’chienne
- De Molen Amarillo
- Uinta Dubhe Imperial Black IPA
- Dogfish Head Hellhound On My Ale
- Harpoon Leviathan
- And many more…
A few additional highlights for the rest of the month include the D.C. debut of Seattle’s Elysian Brewing Company, a firkin of DC Brau’s “The Corruption” IPA with dried apricots, and a keg of Ten Point IPA, a double IPA that has 10 hop varieties added ten times during brewing, from Nelson County, Virginia’s award-winning Devils Backbone Brewing Company.
There are plenty of hoppy goodies to be had, including some that Paradiso’s Greg Jasgur will be acquiring over the course of the month through a few out-of-state bootlegging trips. But in order to get to any of this great stuff, what’s on tap now needs to get drunk up.
Although we tried, the Lagerheads didn’t make much of a dent with sessions at the Dupont and Georgetown locations last weekend. You can start your own JulyPA challenge with a free flight tonight at the Old Town location if you show up with the answer to today’s “Jeopardiso” question: What is so special about Vostok beer, made by 4 Pines Brewing?
Image courtesy of Pizzeria Paradiso