Get our free newsletter
Start pumping the pain killers and throw back some water because D.C. Beer Week madness continues today with more than 20 events across the city. Once again, The Lagerheads, or at least this half of ’em, are here to help steer you in the right direction. Below are my picks for the evening, but if you prefer calling your own shots, or pints, rather, check out the full calendar after the jump.
- Schmaltz Rare & Obscure Night at ChurchKey (from 6 to 11 p.m.) – Tonight, ChurchKey will be pouring over twenty casks, vintages, and barrel-aged rarities from New York’s Schmaltz Brewing Company, known for the He’Brew and Coney Island lines of beer. The selection includes a newly released collaboration with Terrapin Beer of Georgia called Reunion Ale ’11: A Beer for Hope!. Proceeds will benefit the Institute for Myeloma & Bone Cancer Research. The event will be a good chance to learn more about the Reunion series and all things Schmaltz from founder Jeremy Cowan.
- Heavy Seas Restaurant Week Pairing Menu at Thunder Burger (from 4 to 10:30 p.m.) – In celebration of the dual Restaurant/Beer Weeks, Thunder Burger and Heavy Seas have teamed up to offer a special deal. Pair chef Ryan Fichter’s $35.11 Restaurant Week menu with selections from Heavy Sea’s fleet of beers for an additional $10. Beers include Märzen, Davy Jones Imperial Cream Ale, Gold Ale, Loose Cannon India Pale Ale, and Peg Leg Imperial Stout. All are available with or without dinner and a Heavy Seas representative will be on hand to talk about the beer and give away some brewery goodies.
- German Beer Class w/ Troegs at RedRocks Pizzeria (from 7:30 to 8:30 p.m.) – Head to the Columbia Heights location for a chance to discover the subtle characteristics and intricacies of German brewing and its influences on American craft beer. The class will feature four Tröegs Brewing Company beers paired with appetizers from the RedRocks kitchen like prosciutto-wrapped shrimp with aioli and cheese-stuffed dates wrapped in bacon. Pete Showvaker of Troegs will lead the hour-long tasting class. Price is $35 per person and reservations are required.
- Great Lakes Brewer Meet & Greet and Trivia at Meridian Pint (from 5 to 11 p.m.) – Beer geeks, get your technical brewing questions and awkward demeanors ready! Great Lakes Brewing Company head brewer Luke Purcell will be hanging at Meridian Pint all evening and is even slated to host a round of trivia. Featured brews include a few rare brewpub-only beers and Oktoberfest, the Ohio brewery’s fall seasonal.
- Rye Beer Night at The Big Hunt (from 5 p.m. until closing) – Like spice? Head to this beloved Dupont Circle dive for a special selection of craft beers made with rye. The list includes Blue Point Rastafarye, He’Brew Bittersweet Lenny’s R.I.P.A., Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye, Founders Rye, & 3 Stars / Olivers B.W. Rye.
- DC Brau “Brau-B-Que” & Whiskey Tasting at Little Miss Whiskey’s (from 7 to 10 p.m.) – Speaking of rye, join the “Brothers Brau” Jeff Hancock and Brandon Skall in the Atlas District for a whiskey tasting and “Brau-B-Que.” DC Brau brews will be available on draft, Big Al Swill‘s sandwiches will be on the patio, and there will be a free Johnnie Walker tasting at 7:30 p.m. with Peter O’Connor, star of Bar Rescue on Spike TV.
ACROSS THE RIVER
- 12 Percent Imports Takeover at Pizzeria Paradiso Old Town (from 5 to 11 p.m.) – Sample from 15 obscure beers on draft courtesy of 12 Percent Imports of Brooklyn. All beers will be $4 from 5 to 7 p.m. and $8 from 7 p.m. until closing. The list includes offerings from Belgium’s Cazeau Tournay and Hof Ten Dormaal breweries, Emelisse from the Netherlands, and a few other hard-to-find European craft beer outfits. There will also be a few specialties from Baltimore-based Stillwater Artisanal Ales, which is affiliated with 12 Percent.
STEALS OF THE DAY
- Pinch those pennies! Lou’s City Bar in Columbia Heights is charging half price on all their drafts all day long today, and The Big Hunt in Dupont Circle is selling their 20-ounce bombers of beer for half off all week.
Send submissions for the D.C. Beer Events calendar to firstname.lastname@example.org.