Sign up for our free newsletter
Free D.C. news, delivered to your inbox daily.
The District’s fourth Whole Foods Market, a sprawling, two-story 36,000-square-foot emporium of organic and gluten-free goodness, opened its doors at the corner of 22nd and Eye Streets in Foggy Bottom this morning.
Real estate blog UrbanTurf has photos from inside. Washington Business Journal notes how the new store is emphasizing its food-on-the-go selection, including Neapolitan-style pizza and rolled-to-order sushi from local eatery Kaz Sushi Bistro. Meanwhile, over at City Desk, Y&H colleague Shani Hilton wonders whether the fancy new grocery store will help relieve the wrap-around lines at neighboring Trader Joe’s.
More details from Whole Foods corporate headquarters below:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Whole Foods Market® Announces Grand Opening of new
Foggy Bottom Location in Washington, D.C., September 6th
Leading natural and organic supermarket opens fourth DC location featuring full service coffee bar, rolled-to-order sushi and convenient kiosk ordering system for lunch on the run.
(WASHINGTON, D.C. – August 16, 2011) – Whole Foods Market (NASDAQ: WFM) will open the doors to its new Foggy Bottom location at 2201 Eye St., NW, Washington, D.C., Tuesday, September 6th at 10am. The opening of the fourth location in the District of Columbia will commence with a traditional bread breaking followed by food and entertainment.
Steps from the Foggy Bottom Metro station, shoppers at the 36,000-square-foot store will find the new store complete with many familiar amenities as well as those making their debut for the first time. Whether grabbing food on–the-go or shopping for the week, the store is split between two levels creating a distinctive experience while providing access to quality food.
Highlights include coffee/espresso bar, made to order burgers, an organic salad bar and handcrafted Neopolitan-style pizza. The store’s commitment to locally sourced foods is evident throughout each department, from rolled-to-order sushi prepared by the innovative and acclaimed Kaz Sushi Bistro to the highest quality meat and seafood, beer/wine and produce.
New to Whole Foods Market is the convenient Prepared-Foods kiosk ordering system, where the lunch time crowd and on-the-go commuters can expedite the process of ordering and paying for items made in the Whole Foods Market kitchen using touch-screen technology.
“We’re proud to introduce our new store to the Foggy Bottom community and we have worked hard to bring new features and products tailored especially for them,” said Donovan Morris, Whole Foods Market Foggy Bottom Store Team Leader. “In addition to providing the wide selection of delicious, natural and organic foods that are the hallmark of the Whole Foods Market experience, we’re excited to be part of an innovative community that embraces new trends and look forward to continued growth.”
Features and highlights at the new Foggy Bottom store:
- Seasonal and locally sourced conventional and organic produce, Whole TradeTM Guarantee Bananas and Pineapple, and cut organic fruits and veggies cut fresh in store.
- Meat department with a full line of locally sourced beef, pork, lamb, veal, chicken and turkey, and a variety of selections ready to take home and cook.
- Seafood department featuring sustainably sourced fresh shrimp, salmon, filets, steaks, local and seasonal seafood, and oven-ready and whole fish.
- In-store Bakery including fresh European-style breads, muffins and scones, cakes, pies and tarts, cookies, gluten-free items.
- A host of value-conscious grocery items line the shelves such as 365 Everyday Value, thousands of products priced on sale daily, and a bulk and raw foods section.
- Full service coffee bar featuring local roasts, espresso, juice and limited seating opens at 7 a.m.
- Our Kitchen features handcrafted pizza, custom-made sandwiches and burgers, rolled-to-order sushi, organic salad bar, hot soups, meals-on-the-go and Weekday Deals.
- Kiosk ordering/payment system for select Kitchen items.
- Whole Body section with personal-care items to pamper, nurture and care for the whole body and nutritional supplements, herbal and homeopathic remedies and vitamins.
- Café seating for 27 with free Wi-Fi, 12 checkouts, six prepared-food kiosks and plenty of parking with 90-minute parking validation available.
· 98% of the wood used in the store is from reclaimed sources. The new store has been awarded the Gold GreenChill Certification by the Environmental Protection Agency. Foggy Bottom earned this distinction for its green refrigeration systems that reduces emissions is a significant step to helping our environment. Currently, they are the only grocery store in the District of Columbia to achieve this certification.
Whole Foods Market – Foggy Bottom
2201 Eye Street, Washington, D.C. 20037
Normal Store Hours: [Mon –Sun] 8 a.m. – 10 p.m.
Coffee Bar Hours: [Mon –Sun] 7 a.m. – 10 p.m.
# # #
About Whole Foods Market®
Founded in 1980 in Austin, Texas, Whole Foods Market (wholefoodsmarket.com, NASDAQ: WFM) is the leading natural and organic food retailer. As America’s first national certified organic grocer, Whole Foods Market was named “America’s Healthiest Grocery Store” by Health magazine. The company’s motto “Whole Foods, Whole People, Whole Planet”
captures its mission to ensure customer satisfaction and health, Team Member excellence and happiness, enhanced shareholder value, community support and environmental improvement. Thanks to the company’s nearly 60,000 Team Members, Whole Foods Market has been ranked as one of the “100 Best Companies to Work For” in America by FORTUNE magazine for 14 consecutive years. In fiscal year 2010, the company had sales of more than $9 billion and currently has more than 300 stores in the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom.