Do you have a plan to vote?
Let us tell you the information you need to register and cast a ballot in D.C.
Last week, Y&H gave you a sneak peek into the Wu Tang Clan-themed dinner series at Seasonal Pantry and asked you to hazard a guess as to what specific Wu tunes inspired each dish on chef Dan O’Brien‘s menu. After a sold out three-night run, O’Brien dishes up the answers.
See if you guessed correctly below.
1. D – “C.R.E.A.M.” Champagne blinis, smoked trout roe, crème fraîche
According to O’Brien, the famous opening lines of the song—-“Cash rules everything around me, C.R.E.A.M. get the money, dolla dolla bills y’all”—-inspired him to make something with luxury ingredients like caviar.
2. F – “Da Mystery of Chessboxin'” Pickled hot pepper cream cheese topped with jumbo lump crab salad over steamed brioche
Only the studied Wu Tang listener would know that rapper Old Dirty Bastard calls out famed ocean explorer Jacques Cousteau in this song, which led to the inclusion of crab in the dish.
3. E – “Visionz” Tuna and pickled ginger tartare, served open-faced over a wasabi macaroon and garnished with soy sauce salt, lemon pudding, hot Chinese mustard and sesame seeds
O’Brien called this dish the most creative—-nay, visionary—-from the menu.
4. B – 36 “Chambers/Protect Ya Neck” Smoked turkey neck stock with smoked chicken, oregano, parmesan and spring greens from Marion Street Intergenerational Garden
No need to, ahem, stick your neck out on this one—-it’s pretty self-explanatory.
5. A – “Hollow Bones” 60-day dry-aged Rosetta sirloin with green garlic-parsley sauce, beef jus and bone marrow crust
O’Brien used bone marrow and other ingredients to create a crust for this luxurious cut of steak. Somewhere, some hollow bones are missing their marrow.
6. C – “Campfire” Smoked chocolate pudding with bruleed marshmallows, graham cracker crumbs and brown-butter burnt marshmallow ice cream
The inclusion of smoke and the play on s’mores, that classic campfire delight, make this one a sort of no-brainer.
Photo courtesy of Kelaine Conochan at Seasonal Pantry