Get our free newsletter
British pub The Brixton opens July 1 at 9th and U streets NW. Keep calm and read on about the latest project from Ian and Eric Hilton, also the people behind Marvin, The Gibson, American Ice Company, and more:
1. It’s a British pub, but it’s not just fish ‘n chips (though you can get those too). Like the ethnically diverse London neighborhood for which it’s named, The Brixton pays homage to cuisines from India, Africa, and the the West Indies. Chef Jeffrey Jew (previously at Marvin and Blackbyrd) is serving Jamaican chicken roti, Indian poori, and a Caribbean-spiced lamb shank. Unfortunately, Y&H can’t tell you how it tastes; we haven’t tried it yet.
2. There’s a collection of reversible linen shirt collars on display next to the first floor bar.
3. We’re pretty sure it’s got the biggest rooftop bar on U Street, and it looks like it will have a good view of the fireworks next week. The Brixton rooftop will host a “Bangers & Bubbles” celebration starting at 5 p.m. on July 4. What better place to celebrate America’s independence from Britain than a British pub?
4. Cocktail names include “Mind the Gap,” “Easy Ringo,” and “Riot Sling.” There’s also the classic Pimm’s cup and Snakebite.
5. The second floor is called “The Lodge” and outfitted with plaid stools, antler chandeliers, taxidermy, and a display case filled with old athletic trophies.
Photo by Jessica Sidman