Sign up for our free newsletter
Free D.C. news, delivered to your inbox daily.
Matchbox opens its fourth local eatery at 14th and T streets NW today at 5 p.m. Here’s what to expect:
1. The building was previously home to a bowling alley and billiard parlor, auto showroom, and Club Bali where Louis Armstrong and Billie Holiday played.
2. There’s an outdoor fire pit. But you can’t roast marshmallows.
3. Two “floating tables” on the third level are like tree houses looking down on the entire restaurant.
4. The 25-foot bar includes 23 beers plus eight wines and one prosecco on tap. The restaurant is also going to barrel-age some of its cocktails.
5. There are two pizza ovens and a pizza bar where you can watch the pizzas being made.
6. Some new dishes from chef Jeffrey Richardson include braised beef short ribs with turmeric vegetables and fingerling potatoes in a coconut curry sauce, as well as seared sea scallops with pork-belly risotto.
7. Yes, you can still get the mini burgers and the fire-and-smoke pizza (Y&H’s personal fave).
8. There’s a special to-go entrance to pick up takeout orders.
9. There are no new managers. All of them have previously worked at other Matchbox locations.
10. Sister restaurant Ted’s Bulletin is set to open down the street at 14th and Swann streets NW in the first quarter of 2013.
Photo by Jessica Sidman