Get our free newsletter
No plans yet this weekend? Looking for something cheap and fun to do? Then look no further as Artomatic Manual sums up the weekend happenings at Artomatic. (And as always, if we’ve forgotten something please share it with us and the rest of the Artomatic Manual readers below in the comments.)
- For Artomatic artists (or wannabee artists), there’s a workshop on keeping your career in the arts alive. The workshop titled “Career Management for Artists: The 411 on Sculpting Your Career and Staying Competitive” is from 8 to 10 p.m. in the James Renwick Alliance Education room.
- The African-American Collective Theater presents a gay-themed dramatic performance from 8 to 10 p.m. on the Dance/Theatre Stage.
- For fans of horror films, make sure to check out “Spooky Movie – The Washington, D.C. International Horror Film Festival.” Showing two hours of the best short horror films from the festival, the screenings take place from 7 to 9 p.m. in the SunTrust Film Screening Room.
- For a sure-to-please family friendly event, children can make Quetzalcoatl (cornhusk puppets) along with listening to Mexican storytelling in the workshop sponsored by the Mexican Cultural Institute.
- If you’re out on the town sans the kids, Libertine Burlesque (pictured at right) said to “tease, please, titillate, amuse and satisfy” will be performing on the Cabaret Stage from 9 to 9:50 p.m.
- For artistic-leaning kids, there’s a comic drawing workshop with JJ Express Magazine editors who will give insight on the comic creating process as well as how they can be used for social change. The workshop, suited for ages 10 and up, is from 2 to 4 p.m. in the Utrecht Art Supply Education Room.
- To see your favorite Artomatic artists in a new way…an undead way…a special artist social in the form of a Zombie Prom takes place from 6 to 9 p.m. on the 7th floor.
- If you’re a goth/industrial fan, then Nuclearfest 2009: The Free Edition is right up your alley. The third annual installment of the D.C. event, it takes place from 4 to 9:30 p.m. on the Cabaret Stage.
- Another edition of the glass art tour of Artomatic with the Washington Glass School takes place from 2 to 3 p.m. It meets in the lobby and promises to show Artomatic visitors all of the can’t miss glass exhibits at this year’s event.