We know D.C. Get our free newsletter to stay in the know.
Attorney General Peter Nickles told LL yesterday afternoon that his office still hasn’t gotten any documents from Ward 5 Councilmember Harry Thomas Jr. related to “Team Thomas,” the non-profit that Thomas’ critics have called a city-funded slush fund.
“Not a single piece of paper as of this moment,” Nickles said, adding that he’s instructed his staff to send Thomas a reminder that he owes Nickles some paperwork by next Tuesday. On Nov. 2—election day, and Thomas’ birthday—a D.C. Superior Court judge ruled that Thomas had three weeks to answer Nickles’ subpoena for Team Thomas’ financial records.
Nickles indicated, again, that his request isn’t that burdensome and Thomas should have handed over the documents by now. “As I said, if you’re running a legitimate operation the documents are right here,” he said, referring to top drawer of his desk.
Thomas’ lawyer, Fred Cooke Jr., said his client “absolutely” plans to comply with the subpoena and the documents will be turned over either on or before Tuesday.
As for the timing of when the documents are handed over, says Cooke: “Peter is not the arbiter of all things on the planet.”
Nickles, by the way, seemed to be showing no signs of slowing down during the last month and a half he has left as A.G. He hinted to LL that he’s considering suing Wall Street rating agencies for not doing their jobs in the whole subprime mortgage mess and screwing over District investments.
“I don’t intend to ease up on the throttle,” Nickles said. He then compared himself to the runaway train that’s the protagonist in the new Denzel Washington movie. “I’ve always been that way.”
Photo By Darrow Montgomery