Get our free newsletter
A deliberative roundup of one city’s local politics. Send your tips, releases, stories, events, etc. to email@example.com. And get LL Daily sent straight to your inbox every morning! IN CASE YOU MISSED IT:
Good afternoon sweet readers! LL doesn’t want to alarm you, but the days are getting noticeably shorter. This means LL will be taking a winter sabbatical shortly and moving to southern tip of Argentina, where he’ll enjoy the sun and write the labios flojos column for the local alternative weekly. News time:
Both Ques: Does embattled Ward 5 Councilmember Harry Thomas Jr. not need to worry about federal prosecution because he and U.S. Attorney Ron Machen are both members of Omega Psi Phi? Somewhat amazingly, so asks Examiner columnist Harry Jaffe. “Granted, Machen and Thomas didn’t party together: Machen graduated from Stanford in 1991; Thomas came out of Bowie State about 10 years earlier. Still, they share a fraternal bond. … This weekend the Omegas are in D.C. celebrating their 100th anniversary. I suspect Machen and Thomas will join the festivities. They might even encounter one another in a brotherly moment.” Or not. Meanwhile, the Examiner‘s award-winning cartoonist Nate Beeler offers his take on HTJ.
Everybody Loves Cathy, Except This Judge: Police Chief Cathy Lanier was “rebuked” for demoting a cop without following due process, TWT reports. It’s not the first rebuking for such a move. Go Back to Portland, Hippies: Ward 6 Councilmember Tommy Wells led a bike brigade over the South Capitol Bridge yesterday. Miraculously, everyone survived. In Other News:
- Pershing Park evidence search referred to federal authorities.
- New Metrobus cameras lead to 20 firings, 220 suspensions.
- D.C. culls applicant list for medical marijuana dispensaries.
- Council Chairman Kwame “Fully Loaded” Brown calls for council briefing on federal debt ceiling crisis.
- Do we really need to debate whether to call it the Community College of the District of Columbia or the University of the District of Columbia Community College? Yes, we do.
- Pay-by-phone parking meters now citywide.
- D.C. courts offers woman’s ex-offender program.
- D.C., Va. miss deadline to join national sex offender registry.
- Happy belated birthday to former Mayor Anthony Williams, who will certainly be forgotten because he didn’t put his name on anything.
Gray sked: 9 a.m. D.C. Promise Neighborhood Initiative Sustainability Steering Committee Meeting; 9:30 a.m. President Obama Announces 2017-2025 Fuel-Efficiency Standards for Cars and Light Trucks at the Convention Center; 12:30 p.m. Legg Mason Tennis Classic Name-Draw Ceremony; 5 p.m. Meeting With Former Oakland, Calif. Mayor and California Congressman Ron Dellums.
Council sked: Recess.