IN CASE YOU MISSED IT:
Good morning sweet readers! So who technically won the game between Georgetown and the Bayi Rockets? LL had a lot money riding on that game. News time:
D.C. Day Lives in Your Heart: So what went wrong with this plan to give District residents a sneak peak of the MLK memorial? “It appears D.C. Mayor Vince Gray had few plans in place when he announced earlier this month that there would be a day just for D.C. residents to visit the soon-to-open Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial on the National Mall,” reports the Examiner‘s Freeman Klopott. “The mechanics sort of unraveled,” says Gray aide Stephen Glaude.
School Analysis Coming: The Gray administration has picked an Illinois firm with ties to charter schools to determine which schools ought to be shut down, the Post reports. It’s a sign that the District’s thriving charter school population could thrive even more while more traditional schools are closed down.
Yet More Trouble At DYRS: The District’s long-troubled juvenile justice has another problem, according to TWT‘s Jeffrey Anderson. “The Department of Youth Rehabilitation Services (DYRS) abruptly fired health services administrator Dr. Andrea Weisman last week, leaving a gap in expertise in an area central to its mission, sources at the troubled agency said Thursday.”
Both Cleared: Now that various city investigator have cleared both Ward 7 Councilmember Yvette Alexander and her challenger Ron Moten of any serious misdeeds, the pair are free to be friends.
In other news:
- It’s not enough to build nice schools, you have to maintain them too, reminds Mike DeBonis.
- Harry Jaffe: an ode to the brand-new Wilson High.
- Neibauer tries to figure out what the incoming Department of General Services will be like.
- Gray: Board of Elections and Ethics picks coming soon.
- Post obit for Saul Solorzano, advocate for Central American immigrants and former At-Large Council candidate.
- Zipcar and fair prices for public spaces.
- D.C. fatal shooting involved wards of DYRS.
- Post ed board: Safe Surrender program is a good idea.
Gray sked: Angels of Hope Ministries Visit at 11 a.m.
Council sked: Recess.