We know D.C. Get our free newsletter to stay in the know.

Yikes! Andi Pringle, the mayor’s pick to whip his communications shop into shape, has resigned a mere ten days into her gig, following revelations that 1) she voted in the District’s last mayoral primary while living in Maryland, and 2) didn’t have her business license documents up to date.

Here’s the quick Pringle timeline:

  • Monday, Aug. 29: Pringle and new chief of staff Chris Murphy start work.
  • Tuesday, Aug. 30: Pringle and Murphy’s first full day. Mayor Vince Gray has news conference to introduce them as the duo who will get his administration back on track.
  • Wednesday, Aug. 31: Pringle and Murphy have awkward off-the-record chat with some of D.C.’s reporters. Also, last day of Ramadan.
  • Thursday, Sept. 1: D.C. Watch’s Dorothy Brizill reports that Pringle’s voting history says she voted in the District primary while living in Rockville, Md.
  • Friday, Sept. 2: Post story runs with Pringle saying “In September 2010, I voted in the D.C. primary with the understanding that since I had not severed ties with my community nor established residency in Maryland, I should vote at the precinct where I had voted for the past eight years. If this was in error, I apologize.”
  • Sunday, Sept. 4: LL beats Labor Day traffic, drives home. Pringle stays out of the news.
  • Monday, Sept. 5: Labor Day.
  • Tuesday, Sept. 6: Deputy chief of staff Paul Quander goes on Newstalk with Bruce DePuyt, admits that Gray administration’s vetting didn’t cover Votegate but says Gray has no plans to dump Pringle.
  • Wednesday, Sept. 7: Post editorial board slams Pringle for Votegate, also reports that Pringle’s business, Pringle Communications Group Inc., hasn’t had its papers in order with the Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs since 2009 but has been doing business anyway.  Pringle conspicuously absent from Gray’s morning weekly news conference (which pretty much his whole administration usually attends). By late afternoon, Pringle resigns.

Update: LL is fresh off the phone with Pringle, who says this morning’s Post editorial and the attention given to her at this morning’s news conference were clear indicators that she was going to be an unwanted distraction for Gray.

“It was just clear to me that I needed to get out of the way,” says Pringle. “I came here to not be the story but to fix it. … and I believe I could have.”

Pringle says she’s the victim of “undeserved scrutiny” and she’s confident the Votegate issues “will turn out to be nothing” and the Post editorial board’s allegations that her business operated without a working business license is “flat out wrong.” (Pringle says her business hit hard times in 2009, and has been dormant since then.)

Pringle says she never discussed her decision to resign with Gray in person.

Photo by Alan Suderman