We know D.C. Get our free newsletter to stay in the know.
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT:
Good morning sweet readers! Sunshine, you’re the best. News time:
Thomas is Bad, M’Kay?: NBC4’s Tom Sherwood went looking for outrage from the city’s leaders over HTJ’s prolonged city-fund stealing spree, but, despite what the headline of his story says (“D.C. Leaders Finally Express Outrage Over Thomas,”) didn’t find much. Says Mayor Vince Gray: “I know Tommy, I know his family well, and I have a lot of compassion for them in this situation. But at the same time this is something that never should have happened.” Oh snap! Sherwood also indicates that Gray hadn’t yet read the statement of offense that details Thomas’ crimes until Sherwood showed it to him yesterday.
AFTER THE JUMP: Moving On; Aww Rats; HTJ on SNL.
Moving On: Fox 5 covers Councilmember Vincent Orange’s meeting yesterday in Ward 5 to talk about replacing Thomas. “”A lot of people in Ward 5 feel we need to get back some unity to the Ward 5 community,” Orange said. “I’m here to facilitate that conversation.” LL was there and will write his report shortly.
Aww, Rats: Mohammad Akhter, the director of the District’s Department of Health, says he’s concerned about the high number of rats at the Occupy DC camps and compared conditions there to refugee camps in the Middle East and Africa. “When the weather goes bad suddenly we’re watching a tragedy unfold in the middle of Washington, D.C.,” says Akhter. (A spokesrat could not be reached for comment.)
In Other News:
- HTJ’s mug appeared on Saturday Night Live
- Special election for Ward 5 likely to be on May 15, twelve days after HTJ is set to be sentenced.
- Medical marijuana centers green lit for Ward 5.
- Councilmember Phil Mendelson says he’s appalled by DCPS’s behavior over alleged child abuse incident.
- Hunger striker Adrian Parsons set to go to New Hampshire with D.C. politicos to press for voting rights.
- Gray says young man killed for shoes.
- Turnover at Office of the State Superintendent of Education putting District behind on Race to the Top promises.
Gray sked: 9:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m.: HUD Choice Neighborhood Planning Grant Announcement; 10:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.: H Street Retail Grants Award Announcement; 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.: Mayor’s Commission on HIV/AIDS Meeting; 3:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.: DHCD Ivy City Special Demonstration Project Housing Completion Celebration; 7:30 p.m. – 10:00 p.m.: Movie Premiere – In the Land of Blood and Honey.
Council sked: Judiciary mark up at 2 p.m. Council Chairman Kwame “Fully Loaded” Brown to hold Ward 5 meeting to discuss constituent services in break between council representation at Community Academy Public Charter School starting at 7 p.m.