Do you have a plan to vote?
Let us tell you the information you need to register and cast a ballot in D.C.
We can't make City Paper without you
This week’s column is about accountant Jeff Thompson, a generous political donor who is at the center of a broad investigation by the U.S. Attorney’s Office. Last summer LL calculated all the political contributions that could be tied to Thompson and found $730,000 worth of donations since 2010. Since then, LL’s found new donors to add to that list, bringing the total to above $800,000.
Below is a breakdown, but first the same caveat as last time: LL might have missed some donors in the Thompson network (actually, LL’s sure he did), and LL might have included some donations that have nothing to do with Thompson, though he thinks that’s less likely. And here’s two more things to consider: Donation limits vary by office; the cap is $500 for ward races, $1,000 for at-large races, and $1,500 for council chairman races. So those who run for citywide races are likely to have received more money.
If you’re one of the names above and you’ve gotten a subpoena from the feds, please indicate so in the comments section.
- At-Large Councilmember Vincent Orange: $115,500
- Mayor Vince Gray: $105,000
- Council Chairman Kwame “Fully Loaded” Brown: $37,500
- At-Large Councilmember Michael Brown: $26,000
- At-Large Councilmember Phil Mendelson: $19,500
- Ward 4 Councilmember Muriel Bowser: $20,000
- At-Large Councilmember David Catania: $16,750
- Ward 7 Councilmember Yvette Alexander: $11,000
- Ward 8 Councilmember Marion Barry: $11,500
- Ward 1 Councilmember Jim Graham: $8,500
- Ward 2 Councilmember Jack Evans: $4,500
- Ward 3 Councilmember Mary Cheh: $1,000
- Ward 6 Councilmember Tommy Wells: $0
And here are some notable donations to former elected officials and candidates:
- Former Mayor Adrian Fenty: $110,000
- Former D.C. Chairman Linda Cropp: $75,000
- Former Ward 5 Councilmember Harry Thomas Jr.: $13,000
- Ward 1 School Board member Pat Mara (for 2008 at-large race): $4,500
- Former Ward 8 Councilmember Sandy Allen: $2,400
- Former At-large Councilmember Harold Brazil : $7,000
- Former At-Large Councilmember Carol Schwartz :$4,000
- Former Ward 7 Councilmember Kevin Chavous: $7,000
- Former Ward 4 candidate Doug Sloan: $2,500
- Former Ward 7 candidate Mark Long: $3,500
- Former Ward 1 candidate Jeff Smith: $6,000
- Former Ward 3 Councilmember Kathy Patterson: $8,750
- Former Ward 6 candidate Kelvin Robinson: $16,000
- Former mayoral candidates Sulaimon Brown: $100
And one more for good luck: Maryland Gov. Martin O’Malley: $72,000. O’Malley’s campaign took in 18 checks from the Thompson network worth $4,000 each on a single day in September, 2010. LL is still waiting to hear from his spokeswoman whether his campaign has received a subpoena.
Screen grab via C-SPAN