This morning, the Examiner reported on the salaries of D.C. Council staffers and members. The paper especially focused on staffers earning more than $100,000, which the Examiner says is one in five employees of the council. The highlights of their findings:
- Schanette L. Grant, chief of staff for Ward 2 Councilmember Jack Evans: $132,000
- Jordan H. Hutchinson, chief of staff for At-Large Councilmember David Catania: $131,500
- Corey A. Griffin, chief of staff for Ward 5 Councilmember Kenyan McDuffie: $120,000
- Charles W. Allen, chief of staff for Ward 6 Councilmember Tommy Wells: $119,000
- Amy Bellanca, chief of staff for At-Large Councilmember Michael Brown: $115,000
- Jonathan M. Willingham, chief of staff for Ward 3 Councilmember Mary Cheh: $110,000
- Jon R. Meyers, chief of staff for Ward 7 Councilmember Yvette Alexander: $110,000
- Denise L. Tolliver, chief of staff for Council Chairman Phil Mendelson: $108,000
- Estell M. Lloyd, chief of staff for At-Large Councilmember Vincent Orange: $103,000
- Joy Holland, chief of staff for Ward 4 Councilmember Muriel Bowser: $101, 826
Not every chief of staff is over the six-figure mark. The chief of staff for Ward 8 Councilmember Marion Barry, Joyce Ann Clements Smith, makes $90,000, and Calvin Woodland, chief of staff for Councilmember Jim Graham, earns $85, 277.
Most councilmembers make $128,202. Catania, Cheh, and Brown make $125,583, and Mendelson, as chairman, makes $190,000. Which means Evans and Catania both pay their chiefs of staff more than they make.