A morning roundup of news, opinion, and links from City Paper and around the District. Send tips and ideas to email@example.com.
The National Transportation Safety Board will today release its final report on the Jan. 12, 2015 fatal smoke incident at the L’Enfant Plaza Metro station that killed one and injured dozens. In it, the NTSB is expected to identify a probable cause and issue recommendations to at least half dozen local and federal agencies to make Metro safer.
LEADING THE MORNING NEWS:
- Post editorial board: The DC Trust’s demise is no surprise, but it shows the need for accountability. [Post]
- The District hopes to become a state through a constitutional convention. How will that work? [WAMU]
- Sunday’s CSX derailment has raised concerns about hazardous materials in the District. [City Desk, Post]
- A man was shot around 8:30 p.m. on Monday on 14th Street NW in Columbia Heights. [Borderstan, Post]
- Aaron Silverman, the chef behind Rose’s Luxury, is a James Beard Award winner. [Young & Hungry]
- Metro will get a uniformed fire officer for its rail operations control center at all hours. [City Desk, DCist]
- Intense rain downed trees and cut power for thousands across the region on Monday night. [NBC4, WTOP]
RECENT CITY PAPER STORIES TO HELP YOU MAKE SENSE OF YOUR DAY:
- Poke Bowls: The fishy Hawaiian staple is swimming to a pop-up at 918 F St. NW this week.
- “Is This Venue Accessible?”: There’s an app for that. No, really.
- Lycra: Ought one wear it while cycling? Gear Prudence considers how drivers behave toward the lycra-clad.
LOOSE LIPS LINKS, by Will Sommer (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Post ed board: how was D.C. Trust allowed to operate for so long? [Post]
- Cabbies caught rolling back their odometers. [WAMU]
- Muriel Bowser‘s statehood plan. [WAMU]
- Bowser defends her D.C. General replacement shelters. [DCist]
- Aftermath of the derailed CSX train [City Desk]
- Metro adds a fire liaison. [DCist]
- Adams Morgan residents try to keep plaza on private land. [Borderstan]
- Mark Lee: “D.C. ain’t gonna become a state.” [Blade]
ARTS LINKS, by Matt Cohen (tips? email@example.com)
- Is This Venue Accessible? developing an app. [Arts Desk]
- What is the best park in D.C.? [Washingtonian]
- Washington Ballet directorSeptime Webre reflects on his 17 years with the company. [DCist]
- An interview with MOUSAi House founder Gaje Jones. [DC Music Download]
- Check out photos from Broccoli City Fest. [Arts Desk]
YOUNG & HUNGRY LINKS, by Jessica Sidman (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Grilled cheese spot Melt Shop closes downtown. [Borderstan]
- Shake Shack opens in Pentagon City on Wednesday. [Washingtonian]
- Drink this cocktail in memory of the man behind St-Germain, a bartending staple. [Post]
- The 10 hottest Mexican restaurants in D.C. [Zagat]
- Taylor Gourmet owner buys converted music school, offers celebratory dinner. [Curbed]
- Where to find Kentucky Derby specials [Eater]