Get our free newsletter
A morning roundup of news, opinion, and links from City Paper and around the District. Send tips and ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org.
On Monday, the District saw five shootings, two of which were fatal, over the span of four hours in the afternoon. One of the deadly incidents occurred near a school, forcing a temporary lockdown, while four of the five shootings occurred in Southeast. “We were horrified by what we saw today,” Mayor Muriel Bowser said yesterday evening.
LEADING THE MORNING NEWS:
- The D.C. Council has made major changes to Bowser’s homeless shelter bill. [Post, WAMU, City Desk]
- Regional groups consider a proposal to get Metro a dedicated funding source, likely through taxes. [WBJ]
- Bowser, Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton, and D.C. councilmembers endorsed Hillary Clinton. [City Desk]
- A senior official at the District Department of Transportation was arrested on Monday. [Loose Lips, Post]
- Amid yesterday’s shootings, two men were stabbed—one critically—during incidents in Northwest. [Post]
- That promotional video for the D.C. streetcar could have ended a bit differently. Sad! [Motherboard, DCist]
- Metro trains on the Orange, Blue, and Silver lines are decelerating in some locations this week. [City Desk]
RECENT CITY PAPER STORIES TO HELP YOU MAKE SENSE OF YOUR DAY:
- “Tavern Trucks”: Food trucks can’t legally sell booze curbside, so a company hopes to work around that.
- Sweetlife Festival: It came. We saw. We got pictures.
- Protected Bike Lanes: A petition urges DDOT to construct a two-way protected lane along R Street NW.
LOOSE LIPS LINKS, by Will Sommer (tips? email@example.com)
- Council set to rip through Muriel Bowser‘s homeless plan. [WAMU, Post, DCist]
- High-ranking DDOT employee arrested over undisclosed income. [WCP, Post]
- Poll shows preference for homeless funding over tax cuts. [WCP]
- Not all in Congress Heights thrilled with Wizards practice facility plan. [WAMU]
- Campaign preps for Metro funding push. [WBJ]
ARTS LINKS, by Matt Cohen (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Rock & Roll Hotel announces 10-year anniversary celebrations. [Arts Desk]
- An all-Beethoven concert at the National Cathedral breaks out the rarities. [Post]
- Amanda MacKaye says that Fort Reno is happening this year. [Bandwidth]
- Counting down the days until the Helen Hayes Awards. [DC Theatre Scene]
- The best and worst at this year’s Sweetlife Festival. [Arts Desk]
YOUNG & HUNGRY LINKS, by Jessica Sidman (tips? email@example.com)
- Pigskins-themed Hail & Hog Kitchen Bar opens Friday. [Washingtonian]
- Then 10 hottest rooftop restaurants and bars [Zagat]
- The next frontier for vegan restaurants? Not calling yourself a vegan restaurant. [Post]
- Breaking down the science of picky eating [NPR]
- A recap of D.C.’s first food festival for pot enthusiasts [BYT]
- The best place to brunch in 15 D.C. neighborhoods [Thrillist]