Sign up for our free newsletter
Free D.C. news, delivered to your inbox daily.
A morning roundup of news, opinion, and links from City Paper and around the District. Send tips and ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The D.C. Council will look a bit different next year thanks to last night’s 2016 Democratic primary results. To begin, ex-Mayor Vince Gray will assume the Ward 7 seat, having bested incumbent (and former protégé) Yvette Alexander by a large margin. Other surprises included the defeats of At-Large Councilmember Vincent Orange to Robert White and that of Ward 8 Councilmember LaRuby May to Trayon White. With these changes in store, the Council is set to become less aligned with Mayor Muriel Bowser. Some might even say it’ll become more factional.
LEADING THE MORNING NEWS:
- At the intersection of local and national politics, Hillary Clinton also won the primary. [The Atlantic, Post]
- A glitch in a D.C. Board of Elections app appears to have changed some voters’ affiliation. [WAMU, Post]
- D.C. police say over two dozen suspects have been arrested in connection with ATVs and dirt bikes. [Post]
- Some LGBTQ Latinos say queer spaces are no longer safe after the Orlando shooting on Sunday. [WAMU]
- The Department of Labor sues Metro’s union after it allegedly held a rigged election. [City Desk, NBC4]
- Anti-gay graffiti that was turned into anti-gun graffiti in Dupont Circle has been erased. [Borderstan]
- Batang the Bornean orangutan at the National Zoo is pregnant. She’s due in September. [City Desk, DCist]
RECENT CITY PAPER STORIES TO HELP YOU MAKE SENSE OF YOUR DAY:
- Doi Dua: A Vietnamese tasting menu pop-up is coming to the District from Portland, OR. later this month.
- Norton Says No to Noise: Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton is joining an anti-plane-noise movement in D.C.
- Chariot of Fire: A tour bus burst into flames in Shaw on Tuesday. None of its 34 passengers was injured.
LOOSE LIPS LINKS, by Will Sommer (tips? email@example.com)
- Muriel Bowser‘s Council favorites get walloped – read City Paper‘s election night reports. [WCP]
- See last night’s elections in maps. [LL]
- Vincent Orange loses, Robert White wins. Yvette Alexander loses, Vince Gray wins. LaRuby May loses, Trayon White wins. [WCP, WAMU, Times, LL, Post]
- D.C. elections board glitch means trouble for voters. [WAMU, Post]
- A heckler for Gray. [LL]
- Yikes, it’s time for the constitutional convention. [WAMU]
- In the last hours of the campaign, Alexander misleads supporters over fundraising figures. [LL]
- Eleanor Holmes Norton has beef with airplanes. [WCP]
ARTS LINKS, by Matt Cohen (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Union Arts artists negotiate exit settlement with developers. [Bandwidth]
- When comic strip fans turn on their favorite strip. [DCist]
- Listen to this song encouraging D.C. residents to vote…written 60 years ago. [Washingtonian]
- Lamont Street Collective to host benefit concert for Pulse shooting victims on Saturday. [DC Music Download]
- The Wold Trap Opera puts on a solid production of a tough-to-love opera. [WCP]
- Nox has all the makings of a classic D.C. punk band. [Bandwidth]
YOUNG & HUNGRY LINKS, by Jessica Sidman (tips? email@example.com)
- How restaurants deal with insane Yelp reviews [Thrillist]
- Restaurants that are great for picky eaters [Eater]
- Eight new D.C.-area brunches to try this weekend [Zagat]
- What Jose Garces has planned for his new Latin food hall [WBJ]
- A few months after opening, Mulebone lays off its chef. [Post]
- Chef Anna Miller takes over the kitchen at Vinoteca and The Royal. [Washingtonian]