Get our free newsletter
A morning roundup of news, opinion, and links from City Paper and around the District. Send tips and ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org.
City Paper staff photographer Darrow Montgomery tells the story of one block in Chinatown—H Street NW, between 6th and 7th—in a captivating photo essay for this week’s issue. Pick it up in print or view it online and see some of the city’s eclectic characters through a magnificent lens.
LEADING THE MORNING NEWS:
- A woman who worked at a day-care center in Southeast has been arrested on child cruelty charges. [Post]
- More than 2.75 percent of D.C. residents identify as transgender, a new study out of UCLA says. [WAMU]
- Pepco has asked D.C. regulators to let it raise its rates by more than five percent. [City Desk, Post, DCist]
- X2 riders say they have noticed an uptick in how crowded their buses are in the SafeTrack era. [WAMU]
- He did it: Donald Trump is suing D.C. over the assessed tax value of his future hotel. [Politico, The Hill]
- Residents are at odds over the proposed name of New Columbia, should the District become a state. [Post]
- If you exit the same Metro station within 15 minutes of entering, you’ll now get your money back. [WTOP]
- Ex-Councilmember and D.C. environmental department director Tommy Wells gets his bike back. [NBC4]
- Wide disparities in wellness persist for the District’s black population, a Georgetown report finds. [City Desk]
RECENT CITY PAPER STORIES TO HELP YOU MAKE SENSE OF YOUR DAY:
- Hasta La Vista, Morini: Matt Adler, the chef at Italian restaurant Osteria Morini, is leaving for Europe.
- The Source: Scott Drewno has worked at The Source for nine years and stays humble despite the praise.
- The Dream World: Somnia—a collaboration between David Combs and Erica Freas—has a new song.
LOOSE LIPS LINKS, by Will Sommer (tips? email@example.com)
- D.C. Chamber hires Adrian Fenty–era deputy mayor Victor Reinoso as prez. [WBJ]
- Moving on from Kaya Henderson [Post]
- DDOT boss on Kojo [WAMU]
- Time for some new laws [Post]
- When it comes to the District’s state name that will never go into effect, everyone’s a critic. [Post]
- New landscape decorator regs [WBJ]
ARTS LINKS, by Matt Cohen (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Listen to a new song from Somnia, the new project from The Max Levine Ensemble‘s David Combs and RVIVR‘s Erica Freas. [WCP]
- Hirshhorn to now throw a fundraising gala in NYC every year [Post]
- Listen to a new song from Prinz George [DC Music Download]
- Chinatown gets new crosswalk art. [DCist]
- Mike Daisey takes aim at Donald Trump in his new show. [WCP]