We know D.C. Get our free newsletter to stay in the know.
A morning roundup of news, opinion, and links from City Paper and around the District. Send tips and ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sign up: To get District Line Daily—or any of our other email newsletters—sent straight to your mailbox, click here.
City Paper staff photographer Darrow Montgomery tells the story of one block in Chinatown—H Street NW, between 6th and 7th—in a captivating photo essay for this week’s issue. Pick it up in print or view it online and see some of the city’s eclectic characters through a magnificent lens.
LEADING THE MORNING NEWS:
- A woman who worked at a day-care center in Southeast has been arrested on child cruelty charges. [Post]
- More than 2.75 percent of D.C. residents identify as transgender, a new study out of UCLA says. [WAMU]
- Pepco has asked D.C. regulators to let it raise its rates by more than five percent. [City Desk, Post, DCist]
- X2 riders say they have noticed an uptick in how crowded their buses are in the SafeTrack era. [WAMU]
- He did it: Donald Trump is suing D.C. over the assessed tax value of his future hotel. [Politico, The Hill]
- Residents are at odds over the proposed name of New Columbia, should the District become a state. [Post]
- If you exit the same Metro station within 15 minutes of entering, you’ll now get your money back. [WTOP]
- Ex-Councilmember and D.C. environmental department director Tommy Wells gets his bike back. [NBC4]
- Wide disparities in wellness persist for the District’s black population, a Georgetown report finds. [City Desk]
RECENT CITY PAPER STORIES TO HELP YOU MAKE SENSE OF YOUR DAY:
- Hasta La Vista, Morini: Matt Adler, the chef at Italian restaurant Osteria Morini, is leaving for Europe.
- The Source: Scott Drewno has worked at The Source for nine years and stays humble despite the praise.
- The Dream World: Somnia—a collaboration between David Combs and Erica Freas—has a new song.
LOOSE LIPS LINKS, by Will Sommer (tips? email@example.com)
- D.C. Chamber hires Adrian Fenty–era deputy mayor Victor Reinoso as prez. [WBJ]
- Moving on from Kaya Henderson [Post]
- DDOT boss on Kojo [WAMU]
- Time for some new laws [Post]
- When it comes to the District’s state name that will never go into effect, everyone’s a critic. [Post]
- New landscape decorator regs [WBJ]
ARTS LINKS, by Matt Cohen (tips? firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Listen to a new song from Somnia, the new project from The Max Levine Ensemble‘s David Combs and RVIVR‘s Erica Freas. [WCP]
- Hirshhorn to now throw a fundraising gala in NYC every year [Post]
- Listen to a new song from Prinz George [DC Music Download]
- Chinatown gets new crosswalk art. [DCist]
- Mike Daisey takes aim at Donald Trump in his new show. [WCP]