Credit: BORMAN818, CREATIVE COMMONS LICENSE

Do you have a plan to vote?

Let us tell you the information you need to register and cast a ballot in D.C.

While some in the District were relishing the fireworks over the Mall last night (or those from past years, on T.V.), others were feeling pain from pyrotechnic-related burns.

A spokesperson for D.C. Fire and Emergency Medical Services says the agency recorded five such injuries across four separate incidents on Monday evening. The patients’ wounds were “the direct result of the use of fireworks,” he explains.

  • 3900 block of Ames Street NE: “A 15-year-old male suffered severe burns and possible left-thumb amputation…due to a cherry bomb that exploded in their hand.”
  • Alabama Avenue and G Street SE: “I do not have information on the age or the gender, but we had a patient who injured their right hand with possible thumb amputation to the right thumb with an unknown explosive.”
  • 600 block of Taylor Street NW: “A 17-year-old female with minor burns to her torso. There was a second patient, a four-year-old male with superficial burns to the face. Type of firework unknown.”
  • 4000 block of Eight Street SE: “A 10-year-old male received burns using a roman candle.”

Prior to July 4, on June 25, a 17-year-old male experienced facial burns while igniting fireworks on the 2800 block of Good Hope Road SE, the FEMS spokesperson adds. Though he could not compare yesterday’s incidents to those on past Fourth of Julys, he said the day was “relatively quiet” for the agency, in part due to the inclement weather. In the coming days, any resident who sees unexploded fireworks or debris should exercise caution because there could still be potential for ignition.

“Discarded fireworks or firework debris should be soaked with water and put in a fire-proof container,” the spokesperson notes. “We don’t want people taking discarded fireworks and putting them in plastic containers, which could lead to a fire.”